Sunday, June 26, 2016

Black Rock Sea Monster

Sea Monsters are not just in Loch Ness.

Several years ago, shortly after we moved to Nova Scotia, we took a day trip to the Fundy Shore. It was in the off season so nothing was open and we couldn't find anywhere to eat, but I did take photos and blogged about it. One of the photos I took was an altered road sign that I thought was charming...the road sign was converted to a dragon. I have a very small dragon collection at home, so you may understand why I thought the sign was so interesting. I've been through my photo files and my blog, but I can't find the old blog post at the moment.

Last Saturday I was on a field trip with several other people from my photo club and we came across the sign. But now we're into the tourist season, so there has been an addition.
can you spot the monster? (not the one on the sign)
Can you spot the sea monster? (now that I know what the sign refers to, I can't call him a dragon any more)
The Black Rock Sea Monster 
I did a quick online search and found some information about the Black Rock Sea Monster. You can click here to read a newspaper article published by Ashley Thompson in the Yarmouth County Vanguard on July 24, 2015. I have also included the article below:

The pine carving of a dragon began as a figment of Black Rock resident David Taylor's imagination.

“I'm always doing something like that,” said Taylor, looking out into the bay from the backyard of his home.

The creature, now a mix of pine and fibreglass, first dropped anchor in the Fundy tides eight years ago.
It quickly became a spectacle for young and old to behold, garnering enough attention for a mock highway sign with a sea monster icon to be posted along on the shoreline street leading to the community's lighthouse.
All was going swimmingly until the dragon – serpent, sea monster, what have you – was beheaded by the fierce waves that blew in with post-tropical storm Arthur last July.

Taylor, who has been carving for 40 years, took to the water in his boat many times to search high and low for the dragon's missing head. He even travelled as far as Advocate hoping to catch an unusual glimpse of green churning in the tides.

Having no luck, Taylor decided to make a new head for the serpent for the sake of the community.
“I had to replace it because people in the Valley had been bringing their kids over to see it and they missed it,” he said. “I think it's great for the kids.”

Taylor assumed the original face, if it was ever found, would be a mere semblance of what it once was after it was battered around the bay. He recently learned this was hardly the case.

“I can't believe it. I expected it to be in pieces,” said Taylor.

Kings County couple David Carey and Diane Clarke spotted the head July 18 in a cove near Scott's Bay.
They saw a curious glint of green while walking along a beach and then paddled into the cove in a kayak to investigate.

Carey originally thought he'd found a treasure to sell as folk art at a flea market, but his mother - Kentville's Alice Carey -  knew exactly where the odd find belonged after reading about it in a local newspaper.

Alice Carey, a long-time acquaintance of Taylor's, knew one Black Rock resident in particular would be thrilled to learn of her son's discovery.

Sure enough, it's the dragon,” she said. “It came back home.”  

The Careys personally presented the dragon's missing head to Taylor July 23, calling the special delivery their good deed for the day.

Taylor already has a plan for it. “I'll keep it for a spare I guess,” he said with a grin.
Sea Monsters are not just in Loch Ness

1 comment:

sybil said...

Oh wow. Can't believe I've missed this wonderful sea monster.

Something new for me to check out. BTW the love Lupin shot on your "header".

S3