Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Wounded

Wounded: (definition)

1. An injury to an organism, especially one in which the skin or another external surface is torn, pierced, cut, or otherwise broken. 2. An injury to the feelings.
Wounded - the first in a creative photographic series about our environment
This image is my first creation for a project I'm working on. I haven't decided on a name for the project yet, but I will be creating images that depict our impact on the environment.
I created this image from two photographs I took in 2013. The first image was a clearcut nearby where we used to live. 
Clearcut - 2013
The second image was the mill in Pictou. I'm not sure why I took this image at the time, because it was totally out of character for me. I had never taken a photo of an industrial scene before...I simply wasn't interested. 
Pictou Mill - 2013
I combined the two photographs to create one image. I rotated the photo of the mill, to make it look like a reflection. I debated about whether to offset the stand of trees and the mill, but I decided to keep them as though one was a reflection of the other.
Compilation
I converted the colour image to black an white to make it more stark, and I cloned some of the clearcut to make the transition between the two images to seem more natural.
Compilation - Black and White
As a last step, I decided that the image would look better square. Do you prefer the square image, or the image above? As I'm looking at them now, I'm thinking maybe the image above shows the impact of the mill on the sky better.
Wounded by Sara Harley
The first title I selected was "One Thing Leads To Another", but later in the day the word "wounded" popped into my mind. I looked up the definition, and it seemed to be a perfect fit.

Wounded:
1. An injury to an organism, especially one in which the skin or another external surface is torn, pierced, cut, or otherwise broken. 2. An injury to the feelings. 

2 comments:

Janet said...

Wow! First, good to see you back blogging, Sara!! Second, I love that you have been inspired - and I love the concept! But I had no idea what to expect...

This? This is stunning. I had to look twice because I thought it was a reflection. Then when I saw the juxtaposition, I was amazed. It truly reflects not only the word, but the reality of our industrial life. Well done.

As for your question - I prefer the image that shows more sky. It seems to bring an eerie-ness to the picture and makes the reflection more deceptive (and isn't that really what we are doing to ourselves - deceiving?).

sybil said...

I like the square shot better but that may be because its bigger and has more detail.

I also like that the two are positioned as a "reflection". Works beautifully.

I used to have a poster of a clear cut "forest" with the quote from Julius Caesar, "Pardon me thou bleeding piece of Earth ... "

You need to find a way for this image to reach a wider audience. It needs to be seen as it tells such a tale ...