Monday, April 11, 2016

One thing leads to another

As I mentioned earlier, I had been struggling with trying to ease back into some creativity. Last June, I had taken a workshop with local photographic artist Kas Stone (www.kasstone.ca). The course was about layers and masks and I have recently started practicing what we learned (I am somewhat slow on the uptake sometimes!).

Last week, I decided to create a project for myself. It's rather ambitious, and will require me to stretch my abilities. And it will likely frustrate me to no end. Usually, I keep my creative plans in my head, but I felt strongly about this project and I actually told my husband what I planned to do. I put the idea out there to the universe rather than leave it inside my head.

A coincidence, perhaps, but a few days later I picked up a book from the library that had been put on hold for me.  I've only read half the book so far, but there are things in there that make me sit back and think "wow, that's me!". The first thing that really popped off the page for me was this passage: "It begins when you declare your intent. Stand up tall and say it aloud, whatever it is. Speak it. Let it know you're there. Hell, let you know you're there -  because this statement of intent is just as much an announcement to yourself as it is an announcement to the universe. Hearing this announcement, your soul will mobilize accordingly." That's what I had just done a couple of days before by telling John about my project.  Coincidence?

The book is "Big Magic - Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Here is another excerpt from her book that particularly struck a chord with me:
"Something is carrying me along - something powerful and generous- and that something is decidedly not me. You may know this feeling. It's the feeling you get when you've made something wonderful, or done something wonderful, and when you look back at it later, all you can say is: "I don't even know where that came from." You can't repeat it. You can't explain it. But it felt as if you were being guided."

That has happened to me in the past, especially with my inspirational writing, and sometimes with my glass art. It has also happened to me twice in the past week. Totally awesome.

So...back to my project idea. This project that is beyond my ability to create right now. But I know, I just know, that I am going to make it happen. I am going to create a series of images of our environment, and how we impact it. Maybe it sounds boring. But I am beyond excited about it. One night, I planned 3 images that I want to create. Then I went to bed. In the middle of the night, I woke up with a 4th idea that was totally different than what I had planned the day before. I thought about it awhile, and then went back to sleep. In the morning, I couldn't wait to get to my computer. 

That was Saturday. I created the image that day. I'll post the image tomorrow.

1 comment:

sybil said...

What ?

Tomorrow !

Can't wait.

Sounds like a wonderful project and certainly NOT beyond your abilities.