Saturday, April 9, 2016

Garlic to Gourds

I may have mentioned that I felt creatively "stuck" for quite a while. I kick started my creative juices last December with some gourds. Gourds? Yes, gourds. We had stopped to buy some organic garlic from some friends, and as things go in Nova Scotia, we stayed to chat around the kitchen table for awhile. Debbie showed us some decorative gourds that she had grown over the summer. I couldn't stop looking at them. They looked like long necked birds to me. I had to really focus on our conversation, because my brain kept wandering to thinking about the gourds and the many poses I could think of for them. Crazy, eh?

I asked if we could take some home with us, and ended up taking three. It didn't take long for me to set up my camera and start trying to replicate the images I had seen in my mind.

I took a series of six photos in December, and posted them on facebook. Then early in the year, I decided to create a bigger series of photos so I could enter the "Silent Essay" competition in our photo club (which requires 12 photos). This was a big, BIG thing for me to decide. I hadn't entered photo club competitions for 2 1/2 years. Taking the photographs wasn't difficult. Making the decision to actually hit "enter" and send my slide show into competition was a tough one. 

I can't tell you how many times I changed my mind about entering the competition. It's just ridiculous how we can get ourselves into such a state of lack of confidence in our abilities. Why do we make things so hard on ourselves?

Anyway, I did it. Created the slide show. Entered the competition. And now, here it is for your viewing pleasure.


And did I mention that I won the competition? "Gourds" won the Silent Essay Trophy at our local photo club. Woot!

3 comments:

martha brown said...

I watched your slideshow on facebook last week and have watched it a few more times now. This is beautiful, Sara. Congratulations!

Sybil N said...

Sara it really is brilliant. I love it !

Word Weaver Art said...

Wow... very creative...