Friday, April 15, 2016

Broken Wings

Sometimes I visualize a photograph I want to capture and go out to try to find it. Sometimes I find things to photograph when I'm out and about. But sometimes magic can happen when I'm at home doing the most mundane things.

I was vacuuming last week and found an insect wing on the floor. Hmmm.

Most people would vacuum up the wing without a thought, but my brain engaged.

I stopped vacuuming and carried the wing into the garage (aka my studio), got out my tripod, camera, and macro lens. Cleaned an old mirror and placed the wing on the mirror in front of a window. I started by propping the wing up with a glass glob. Took some photos. 

Decided I just wanted the wing and it's reflection. 


I took a series of photos, and then picked one to work with in photoshop. I did some simple adjustments...removed some spots from the mirror, and played with the brightness and contrast slightly. This is the result:
insect wing on mirror

I looked for a quote about broken wings on the internet, and decided to add some words from a Martina McBride song:
Broken Wings with Martina McBride quote

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to simplify the quote and use my own words instead. And the final outcome...
Broken Wings with quote by Sara Harley

And I did eventually finish the vacuuming.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow Sara...what an amazing series of photos!!

Anonymous said...

Pretty!

sybil said...

Love the image and your message.

Vacuuming is highly over-rated.

Sophie said...

It looks so emotional and painful. Your art touched me so strong.