Tuesday, January 19, 2016

2015 - February to December

My "dream big" blog has been inactive for one year. Someone reported my blog as spam late in 2014 (how can a personal blog be spam, I wonder?) so I switched blogs for 2015. However "Sharley Studio" is me and I want to get back into being me. I am reproducing my blog posts from 2015 - these are the posts from February to September 2015

**********
Tuesday February 3, 2015
digging out

We are digging out from another storm. Well...I should say....John is digging out and I am indoors...warm and cozy.

I have been working on a new project...a magazine for Paws For Charity...and I have almost finished putting the first issue together. Woot!
photo taken from an upstairs window

**********

Thursday March 26, 2015
Ragged Islands Historical Society

If you live in Nova Scotia, you know what I'm talking about when I say that it has been a loooonnnng and very snowy winter. No one would believe the amount of snow without having to deal with it day in, day out for the past couple of months.


We took a little break from our snow and winter blahs a couple of weeks ago and headed to Lockeport for a drive and walk on the beach. This is my favourite photo from the day. Notice the cat sunning himself on the steps :)

I couldn't find much information about the society online, but did find a bit: 


The society was formed in 1985 to research, establish, and maintain a collection of historical materials pertaining to the Ragged Islands area and to make them available for the use of the interested public.

The Ragged Islands area includes: The Town of Lockeport, Osborne, Pleasant Point, Allendale, Little Harbour, Rockland, East Ragged Island, Louis Head, West Middle Sable, Sable River, East Sable River, Little Port L'Hebert, West Green Harbour, East Green Harbour, and West Head.

Visitors Always Welcome. Donations Appreciated. Membership $10 annually due in April 


Meetings 4th Wednesday monthly at 65 John Street in Lockeport.


**********

Saturday March 28, 2015
Winter Scenes


Did I mention it has snowed a lot this winter? I haven't been out much with my camera, but here a few of my favourite scenes from February and March.









**********

Tuesday March 31, 2015
The Tin Pan

Last week, we traveled over to the "Fundy Side" of the province and did a bit of touring. By 3:00, we were a tad hungry and headed over to The Tin Pan in Port Williams. It's a tiny little spot, so don't blink when you're driving through the town or you'll miss the restaurant. It's well worth the drive if you're looking for good, simple food cooked while you wait. (the sign below is a hint about the wait time). Aside from the food, what I like best about the place is all the eye candy. Lots on the walls, and lots of cards, sketches, you name it...under the plastic table covers from previous diners.



the sign in the window - Simple Honest Food

the sign says it all - if you're in a rush, this isn't the place for you





lots of interesting reading - cards, sketches, you name it from past diners

lots of eye candy while you wait
make sure you have some cash in your wallet



We've left several cards here over the years. Take a look for them if you drop by.

**********

Thursday April 2, 2015
The Power of a Beach Walk

We are absolute believers in the power of a walk on the beach. No, I'm not talking about power walking. I'm talking about the power that a walk on the beach has to soothe your soul.The wind, the smell of the ocean, the sound of the waves. Not only do my thoughts calm down, but I feel it physically as well. The rhythm of the waves eases the tension in my body, and I find myself rejuvenated every time. Every time.


Yesterday we decided to take a short trip to Beach Meadows Beach. It's beautiful. Even when there's snow. Yes, there is still snow here even though it's April and officially spring. Hopefully we'll lose the snow, and see some flowers soon. But there's always the beach.


Inspirational Postcards by SHarley
Inspirational Postcards by SHarley
**********

Wednesday April 29, 2015
Ode To My Blundstones

A note to the person who stole my boots while I was swimming at the Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre:

As I was enjoying my swim at the LCLC today, you decided to take my beloved Blundstone boots from the shoe rack under the sign that says "Please Remove Shoes".

I hope my boots will give you the same happiness that I have had for the past six years. Those boots have seen walks on the beach in good times and in bad times. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I took a walk on the beach in those boots. Every time I lost one of my pets to old age, those boots joined me on the beach to help walk off my grief. Every person who visited us joined me and my Blundstones on the beach to share my love of this province. I've hiked Gaff Point in those boots, visited Ross Farm in those boots, danced at Petite Riviere in those boots. Oh, so many memories!

And those boots saw lots of action at home too. This former city gal learned about living in the country in those boots. Those boots helped me raise guinea hens. They helped me build a deck. They protected my feet when I went up on the roof to replace some shingles. They wore some paint. They walked with me and my dogs every morning down our half mile drive to get the paper. They dug flower gardens. And they protected me from harm when I created stained glass art.

And now my boots have moved on to someone new. I hope they will provide as many fond memories for you as they did for me. But I would just like you to know that "Please Remove Shoes" is not an invitation to steal someone else's footwear. (and you shouldn't steal socks either!)


**********

Friday September 25, 2015
Playing With Shadows 
 
Light or Shadows, Dreams or Nightmares - Only you can tame your inner dragons
The past two years have been a challenge. We put our country home up for sale, sold it within 2 months, had the sale fall through, and then waited another year and a half for another offer. During that time, we built a new home in the nearest town.

I always said I would never build a home...too many decisions and choices. But you know what they say about "never say never". It was stressful, but worth it in the end. We don't have a "perfect house", but we have a house that's perfect for us.

When we finally did receive an offer on our country home, we only had 3 weeks to pack up and move...as well as finish our new home. The builders were still working on the house as we were moving our boxes and furniture in. Just a tad bit of stress!

At the same time we were dealing with packing and moving, a visit to my oncologist resulted in many tests followed by a biopsy. Four and a half years after my cancer treatments, and we thought we might be facing another battle. Yesterday we heard the news that everything is okay. Insert happy dance here.

My previous office was in a closet. Now I have a room of my very own. It's tiny, but perfect. My little collection of 3 dragons sits on a cabinet behind me. One day, I noticed their shadows on my office wall. I grabbed my camera and captured the image. The image sat on my desktop for a few weeks, and today was the day that words popped in my mind to go with the image. It might require a little tweaking, but it suits me for now. We all have our dragons to deal with.

**********

 

No comments: