Monday, September 8, 2014

when sharing is not okay

Edited to add: I think I better clear something up. The newspaper just printed the request for submissions. The newspaper was not the one asking to use the photos...the photos are for use in an exhibit that's happening at the end of September.
Everyone is entitled to their own view. I am just voicing mine.

Pictou County mill, 2013
If you live in Nova Scotia, you are definitely aware of the problems going on in Pictou. Now that Erin Brockovich is commenting on the situation, you might even know about it if you live outside Canada.

Recently, there was an article in the newspaper about a group asking for images showing the impact of the mill. An exhibition is planned for the end of September.

I sent in this photo which I took in July 2013 when we were visiting the North Shore, and it was accepted into the exhibition. The photo would be printed in a large format (3 feet by 2 feet) with a 100 word statement that was submitted by me.

However...

The photographers had to agree that their photos "may be used for publicity purposes". 

Okay. No problem...I agreed....as long as photo credit is given when the photo is used. Right? 

Wrong.

Photo credit would be given at the exhibition but not when used for publicity purposes, and I had to agree to give up "all rights" to my photograph.

Huh? I don't think so. I withdrew my submission yesterday.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's okay to use someone's photo without photo credit. That is not cool.   (see my previous post about this issue here: Yellow Chairs on the LaHave) Not only is it not cool, it's extremely frustrating. And that's why you see ©Sara Harley on my blog photos now. 

Just call me - The Grumpy Photographer.

4 comments:

Sybil said...

Lemme get this straight: you are letting them use the image for free an they won't give a photo credit AND they want unfettered use of the photo ? WTF ???

Good for you.

Sybil said...

OK. I'm feeling snitty now. What newspaper ? I want to write to them. Won't mention you specifically. Just think a Letter to the Editor is in order.

Anonymous said...

Hi Grumpy Photographer,
I am not a stickler when it comes to my receiving credit . . . but there are times I also say, “No”. I have allowed photos of mine to be used to illustrate magazine articles and in books and pamphlets. That use comes with the request that the images be labeled as being taken by myself. In other cases, I have done photo work for local organizations and requesting “photo by . . .” whenever possible but also allowing them to the freedom to share the images among their members. Credit becomes less important than my being thankful that I could do something to support the work of that organization.
I have refused permission to use one of my photos in an online commentary. The photo was of a public figure and was taken in Nova Scotia. They wanted to use it when that person spoke in BC and there was a rally outside. I did not know the point of view of the article and didn’t want my image perhaps representing a point of view which with I may not agree.
This past year, the local newspaper missed having a photographer at a certain event. The paper had me spend considerable time going through my images to get the type of shot/number of people in it/etc. No credit was given when the image was published with their news article. When I inquired, I was told by the paper that, “we generally do not give credits for contributed pictures”. Their own photographer would have both gotten paid and been given credit. They refused me even credit, so if the local paper requests another image from me, the answer is “No”, unless their policy changes. - Elizabeth

Sara said...

I think I better clear something up. The newspaper just printed the request for submissions. The newspaper was not the one asking to use the photos...the photos are for use in an exhibit that's happening at the end of September.
Everyone is entitled to their own view. I am just voicing mine.