Friday, September 19, 2014

comfort zone

The internet can be a wonderful thing. I have "known" artist Carrie Jacobson for several years, but only through the internet and email. She has been involved in my Paws For Charity Project for several years, and I started following her blog to keep in touch with her painting adventures. She has a bold style, which I admire. And...she has lots of courage to try new things, which I really admire. So many of us are afraid to try something new that we miss out on all kinds of things. I think it's important to get out of our comfort zone. I find that as I get older, it's easier to try new things because I care less about what other people think. Carrie recently posted about this subject (Thoughts on Fear and Courage), which you can read by clicking here.

Carrie goes on painting trips and gets sponsors to help her out. They provide funds for her trip, and she gives them paintings of their choice. So...I gathered up my courage and approached her with an idea...if she was interested....I would create a book about her trip in exchange for a painting. I wasn't sure what her response would be, but what the heck...it was worth a try!

She agreed...I compiled a book about her latest trip using entries that she posted on her blog (you can view it by clicking here)...and, in return, I received this beautiful painting of one of my favourite beaches.

Carrie's painting - "Sara's Beach" - oil on canvas, 16x20

the photograph I emailed to Carrie
I was so happy to create a book for someone else. It was a challenge for me, and I have  hopes of doing more of this type of thing. Aside from the awesome art I received, it was a great experience to put together a book with someone else's material.

So...lesson for today...don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. You never know what treasures you'll end up with.