Thursday, July 3, 2014

book projects

Back in December, I was flown from Halifax to Toronto by Blurb Books for 2 days of filmed interviews about my Paws For Charity Project. Still waiting to see that 2 minute video!

However, answering all of their questions really made me think about how much I love making books. Every year, I make a memory book for John and give it to him at Christmas. I have made books for our grandchildren, family vacations, the photo club I belong to, and fundraisers for various groups.

This year, I made a couple of books for an artist who I met through my Paws For Charity Project. Carrie Jacobson (jacobson-arts.com) has donated her pet portrait images to the Paws Project for several years, but she does a lot more than pet portraits. She uses oil paint and a pallet knife to create her art, and I just love her style. Bold brush strokes make me think of energy and confidence, and boy! would I like to have that much confidence in my own work.

Carrie has completed a couple of sponsored painting trips....you sponsor her at different levels and she paints like crazy during her trip, then her sponsors get to choose the painting they want to keep. So cool! She documents her trips on a blog (you can see this year's trip by visiting here: californiacallingpaintingextravaganza.blogspot.com). This year, I worked with Carrie to create book versions of her trip. I made one book to use as a "portfolio" book that she could take with her while during the art show circuit and to show galleries samples of her work. I also created a more detailed book of the stories behind all the paintings she created on her trip.

You can take a look at her book (and maybe even order a copy!) here: http://www.blurb.com/books/5316710-california-calling-by-carrie-jacobson.

I really enjoyed the challenge of putting these books together!
Harold Rowsell (SHAID) accepts $880 Paws For Charity donation from Sara - photo by Rebecca Rowsell
Another book creation this year was my annual charity fundraiser...the 2014 Paws For Charity Project.. All funds raised from this project are donated to Sheltering Helpless Animals in Distress (SHAID.ca), an animal shelter in Bridgewater. In June, I was happy to make a donation for $880. I'll make another smaller donation at the end of the year. I was a little disappointed in the totals for this year's project, but it felt great to make the donation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara
Wow
I love these painting too!!
I wonder how much they are?

Thank-you for the lupins!
Judy

Sybil said...

Wow. They did the interview in December and you still haven't seen it. Tell 'em to get cracking ! ;-) I think the memory books you make are wonderful things and you are so very generous to create the Paws for Charity book every year ...

martha brown said...

I've been a bit out of the loop lately! I'm hoping to make some kind of book this summer...
Love those lupins in your last post!!