Monday, April 14, 2014

finally, spring

Spring is here, at long last. I was outside yesterday and heard a pileated woodpecker calling. He was close....and I finally spotted him high in a tree above our coop. I ran inside to get my camera and long lens. Of course, by the time I got back he was gone. A song sparrow was my substitute. 

Most of our birds are back now. Just the hummers left to come. Evening Grosbeaks, Purple Finches, Gold Finches, Red Winged Blackbirds, Doves, Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers, Sparrows....it's wonderful to welcome all of them back. We have a pair of Red Tailed Hawks, who soar high above our fields...such a feeling of peace to watch them.

Welcome, spring! It's good to have you back.

1 comment:

Janet said...

It's about time, eh? Winter has been long and grumpy - so happy to see the robins skittering around our front lawn and hear the blue jays squawking in the woods.

Love the photo, Sara :)