Sunday, September 15, 2013

close encounter

We have several red tailed hawks living nearby, and often see them soaring above our fields. I had a close encounter with one a few years ago, when I caught it eating one of our guinea fowl. My elation at seeing the hawk so close quickly turned to dismay when I realized that he was dining on one of our guineas! 

But this year we have been visited by a "new to us" hawk. We had a close encounter earlier this summer when we were sitting on our back deck. There was a rustle of wings, and we looked up to see a small hawk chasing a dove. They both flew within 10 feet of us. They hawk missed his meal that time.

This morning I was in our living room reading, and saw something from the corner of my eye. I looked up and there was a hawk sitting in our small crabapple tree...just 20 feet from the window. I have checked our bird books...I think maybe it's a Sharp-Shinned Hawk, but I'm not sure. He was there long enough for me to grab my camera and take a few photos through the window. What a great way to start the day!




3 comments:

Sybil said...

What a treat seeing it so close. Sorry about your bird becoming someone's meal.

CrimsonLeaves said...

He is a beauty and is quite taken with you, it appears. I hate to see any animal hurt, for sure. I realize that these birds have to eat (as do coyotes and foxes and wolves and all other carnivores), so I try hard not to hold it against them that they do what is natural for them to survive. I just do not want to see it!!

Taos Sunflower said...

Your hawk is beautiful. I've recently discovered we have a Cooper's Hawk living nearby (who is fond of hunting the doves in our front yard). Nice to see some wild life left in the city.