Monday, May 6, 2013

another anniversary to celebrate

My apologies for the strange layout...I can't figure out what's
going on with my blogger
 
My husband and I are celebrating a very special anniversary in
our lives. No, it's not the anniversary of the date we met. And
no, it's not our wedding anniversary.

It is the 5 year anniversary of the date we moved from Ontario
to Nova Scotia. More specifically, we are close to ending the 
fifth year of living life in "the country". People often ask if
we had any difficulty moving to a new province. My standard
reply is "Moving to Nova Scotia was one of the best things we
ever did. But moving to "the country" was a much bigger adjustment!"

We were both raised as "city people". We thought we made the
move to country living 15 years ago, but we were fooling ourselves.
We lived in a subdivision on the outskirts of a small Ontario
town, just south of Ottawa. The houses stood on one or two acres
of land, the roads were all paved, the hydro lines were buried,
and high speed internet was easily accessible. Picking up
necessities from the store was a quick drive down the road. 
Looking back on it, I have to laugh to myself that we thought
this was country living.

We now live on 20 acres of land that sits 1 kilometre off an
unpaved road. Our driveway has pot holes, and the condition of
the road is beyond what a few words can describe. We have
neighbours nearby, but the only homes we see are on nearby
hills. We were lucky enough to get a high speed internet
access pole installed a couple of years after we moved here.

Since we changed to country living, we have learned about ticks.
Then we learned about guinea fowl. That led to dealing with foxes
and hawks, who enjoy the meals we provide. Our dogs have learned
(and re-learned) about porcupines. We have learned how to remove
quills ourselves, after many expensive emergency vet visits. Ah,
the joys of country life.

But...

Living life in the country IS a joy.  Living where I live allows
me to be surrounded by nothing other than the sound of the wind
blowing through the trees.

I have learned the calls of many different birds. I have seen a
red tailed hawk dive into our field after it's prey. I have watched
Evening Grosbeaks feed their young. I have seen woodpeckers pick up
a sunflower seed from our feeder...walk down the feeder post...
insert the seed into a crack in the post, and peck open the seed...
only to repeat the process over and over again. I have rescued a
dove from our pond, and spent hours warming it up and keeping it
safe until it was ready to fly away. I have held a hummingbird in
my hand.

I have nursed guinea keets back to health. I've been 10 feet away
from a hawk dining on one of our full grown guineas.

I have heard the peepers herald spring. I have learned that
juvenile Northern Flickers get thrown from their nest and spend
a few days on the ground before they learn to fly. I can spot a
wood tick from several feet away, and pick them off our dogs
(and people too) without cringing.

I have learned that when you live on a hill, sometimes it's too
windy to hang clothes on the line. I have learned that the smell
of clothes off a laundry line far surpasses the smell of dryer sheets.

I now know how to pick potato beetles off the vines, plant and
harvest garlic, and know what a tomato tastes like moments after
being picked.

I have learned to answer the question "why did you choose to
move here?" with a smile, and the quiet knowledge that I moved
here to enjoy the things in life that really mean something.

6 comments:

Patchmaker said...

Happy Anniversary! My 7 year Anniversary is coming up this fall, and, like you, I smile when people ask why I live here, because I too love this life and wouldn't change it for anything. Congratulations!

TeresaA said...

Happy Anniversary. I wouldn't trade life in rural NS for anything at all.

Sybil said...

Is there anyone in Nova Scotia who's not a C.F.A. ? lol

My 4th anniversary is coming up in the fall.

Though I'm not in the country, I am so very close to it and so many other wonderful things.

Go back to Ontario ? Never !

Happy Anniversary !

Pat MacKenzie said...

Lately Lloyd and I have had a longing to return to Nova Scotia. We'll just have to settle for a visit though since all seven of our kids live in Alberta now and I would hate to give up seeing them and the grandchildren every day. We still consider ourselves Bluenosers though and always will.

Anonymous said...

Well said Sara!!!!!
Judy

Taos Sunflower said...

What a wonderful anniversary, indeed. I really can't think of anyone in my group of friends who live in the country who enjoys and appreciates it as you do. PS Boy, do I understand about potholes!