Sunday, March 3, 2013

Assignment #2

I have completed 3 of my 6 sessions in Creative Photography, but I'm a little behind in posting about it. I find the assignments fun, but at the same time quite challenging. Feedback about my photos has been mixed at both of the past 2 sessions. This assignment was called "Kicking the Ground Out". 

Here is the description of the assignment: For the next two weeks, your images may not have any "ground" in them - there must be no "bottom" or "foreground" or "foundation". This does not mean all photos have to be looking up, but each composition must have nothing on the bottom. Photograph as you normally do, but for EVERY image you seek to make, redesign the composition so it has no bottom.

Here is the first image I presented. I like working with shadows, and often notice them when I'm out and about with my camera. I manufactured this one. This was taken after a snowstorm we had a couple of weeks ago. The sun came out, and the snow was crunchy. There were harsh shadows where the wind had blown ridges of snow. I stuck a tulip in the snow and took quite a few shots from different perspectives. This one was my favourite, and although it actually is totally a picture of the ground, it does not have a grounding element.


This was my second image, and it bombed....no one liked it. It passed the "no grounding element" test, but no one liked my composition. This photo was taken indoors. I placed a tulip in the vintage bottle and put it on a mirror. The petals all fell off the stem, and I decided that was kind of interesting, so I took the photo with the naked stem. The photo was taken in natural light, on a windowsill.

Suggestions to improve the image were to remove some of the flower petals so the image isn't so top heavy, and to include the full bottle and tulip stem along with the full reflection.

Assignment 3 coming up!

2 comments:

TeresaA said...

both very interesting images. I hope you weren't upset about it 'bombing' there's so much to learn. :)

Sybil said...

Both are lovely shots, but I agree that the entire bottle and stem would be more effective. The shot is incredibly "crisp" -- so focused.