Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mulligan

Mulligan 1999 - 2013
On Friday we said good-bye to our dear girl. 
Mulligan - 1999
In 1999, we adopted Mulligan from a dog rescue group called BARK, based in Ottawa, Ontario. She was found as a wee pup...about 5 weeks old....at the side of highway 7 in Ontario. When we left our house to go see her for the first time, there was a double rainbow arching through the sky. I told John it was a sign. And it was. 

We brought her home and added her to our crew. She joined our cat Phantom, and dogs Bailey and Cinder. She was gentle and soulful. 

She was adventurous in her youth. She dug holes and chased chipmunks. The snow would drift over our 4 foot fence in the winter, and she would go exploring. But never too far, and we always quickly got her back into the yard.

She loved bananas. She loved all food.

We only had her 3 days when our husky bit her and tore her eye open. That was a terrible day. Rushing to the vet with her screaming in my arms. Blood everywhere. Her eye was uninjured, but her eyelid was permanently damaged. I thought her beautiful anyway.

People always noticed and commented on the beauty of our dogs. Only one person (a young boy) ever said "I like the black one best".  A bump on her nose required surgery when she was about five years old, and she managed to get porcupined once. She hated the water. She ate poop.

She never learned to fetch. She never walked a straight line. She had the most beautiful golden brown eyes. She would scratch our chairs as we watched tv when she wanted a pet but she wasn't a cuddler. She liked me to hold her paw as she laid beside my chair.

Even though she was a quiet girl, the silence in the house now is deafening. There's no slobber to wipe off the floor. She was a lady with a gentle heart. She was the last one of our original crew, and now she is gone. Fourteen years went by with the blink of an eye.

I loved her. I miss her terribly. She was my Miss Mulligan.

Mulligan - 2010

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you and we'll always miss you Mully!
Love, G, DIL and Miss M.
xo

Janet said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Sara - Mulligan was a beautiful dog and she lived a long and happy life.

Take care <3

Patchmaker said...

So sorry to hear this, Sara.

Amanda Pedro said...

I wish you peace.

martha brown said...

Oh, Sara, I am so sorry. I am so glad that i had the chance to have met Mulligan, and am happy that she shared her spot on the couch with me :). Hugs to you and John both... And to Riley, who is likely feeling quite empty too. xox

Sybil said...

So glad you found each other and had all those wonderful years together. 14 is a wonderful age for a big dog.

I am sorry for your loss.

TeresaA said...

god speed Mulligan.

she was a beautiful dog Sara

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

So sorry!

Amanda said...

I have been following your blog for awhile (since buying dog biscuits from you!), but have never commented until today. Your tribute to your best friend is very touching, I can tell Mulligan was special and you loved her very much. Having had to say goodbye myself, I know its not easy and only time will help. I'm so sorry for your loss...take care.

Amanda

Karen said...

Just checked your blog Sarah and realized you have lost Mulligan. She was a lucky girl to have been found by such a wonderful person and I'm certain she had the best life possible. Your tribute to her was touching and photo, beautiful.