Saturday, December 15, 2012

O Christmas Tree

We didn't have a Christmas tree in 2010 or in 2011. We did have a little stick tree to acknowledge the season. (quite a cool tree made with a rock base, and weathered sticks, Strung through a metal post, with a small stone on top...hand made by a man in Hubbards). But we didn't have a "real" tree. Both of the past two years, I was recuperating from surgery (2010 was for breast cancer, and 2011 was a shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff). Last year, John had knee surgery on November 27th (the 3rd surgery on the same knee within 12 months). Somehow, it just seemed too much effort to put a tree up.

Well, we'll have no more of that. This year is the third year of recuperating from surgeries for me (a detached retina this time)....enough is enough! I wanted a tree and when the woman wants a tree, her man gets her one!


I just love pulling out all the decorations...going through them one by one...and remembering where each one came from. I don't go for a "decorator's tree". I go for family memories. 
I have some decorations that were my mom's favourites. I haven't been able to spend a Christmas with her since I was 20, but I have some of her favourite decorations hanging on my tree.
I have decorations made by our son when he was three...and throughout his childhood....and now also have them made by our grandchildren.
I have some that friends sent me 30 years ago when I lived in Alberta...not being able to get "home" for Christmas for the first time.
I have many "Nova Scotia" ornaments sent to us in Ontario every year by DIL....and now we live here so she doesn't have to send me a piece of Nova Scotia each year! 

Each one holds a special memory, and a special place in my heart.

4 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

How lovely that you're able to go out and get your own real tree. I too love the memories that family ornaments bring back. Merry Christmas.

Sybil said...

Beautiful and meaningful tree. Quite lovely.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love your tree. I'm with you -- I'm a memory tree woman and there's nothing decorator or coordinated about my tree. So glad you and John were able to put one up this year.

Anonymous said...

I like it too. 2nd favorite is the 3rd one.
Wouldn't they make nice X-mas cards?
Judy
P.s. Great job on the tree!!