Saturday, December 8, 2012

kick start

the setting sun casts a glow on the milk bottles in our kitchen window
Sometimes when you're feeling a little lost, it's easy to think that you're the only person who ever struggles with lack of confidence. But age does bring wisdom (a little bit, at least) and I realize that everyone goes through this to varying degrees.

Almost losing my eyesight in my left eye in October sent me into a bit of a tailspin. I didn't take photographs. I didn't work on my glass art. I didn't read. I fretted about how fragile life is, and wondered just what my purpose was.

But time does heal all wounds (physical as well as mental) and I feel like I am getting back to being "me" again. The "me" who is positive, and the "me" who looks at the world and sees the good. The "me" who enjoys everyday details, like the setting sun hitting the milk bottles in our kitchen window.

I had a conversation with my son a couple of days ago that kick started me to get back on track. He is thinking about starting to create comics (something he has done in the past), but is worrying about what his style is. I told him to just start creating them, and his style will develop over time.  

Just start.

Isn't that something that many of us are afraid to do?  He is so talented, and so creative. As a parent, I find it difficult to patiently wait for him to discover that for himself.  

But the best thing about our conversation was that it got me to thinking that I should take a little of my own advice. Just start. That's what I need to do. There are so many things that I want to do, I need to just start and do them. As this year ends, I am determined to begin my journey and stretch my artistic abilities in whatever direction they take.

Now that's a start!

3 comments:

Sybil said...

It's corny I know but each new day is a new opportunity to "just start". A fresh start. I find a great comfort in that.

Janet said...

Great message, Sara - and I'm so glad to see that you're 'starting' again! Like my running journey, all it takes is one step :)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

You've one good eye and one bad eye? Well, I think it would be great if you would go back to photography because you are soooo talented!