Saturday, December 29, 2012

a winter scene


We had a bit of a snowstorm the other day. Since then, it has poured rain and then frozen. We're expecting a bigger snowstorm later today. Such is life in the winter in Nova Scotia.

This house is just down the road from us, and sits high on a hill. It is actually an abandonned house, but I didn't know that until just recently (after John did his door to door canvassing for the municipal election).

I spoke to a photographer about one of his photographs during an opening reception at an art gallery last year. He told me it took him two years to capture his photograph, and I thought at the time that it was a ridiculous statement. Then I thought about it, and it's actually quite true. I do that quite often....I often have a scene in my mind, and it sometimes takes quite some time to be able to capture it on my camera.

I have been wanting to photograph this house during a snow fall for a couple of years, but I never had my camera with me at the right time. The house seems so lonely and isolated, it just seems to me that it should be photographed in dreary weather. It was snowing a bit too hard to capture the scene I have in my mind, but I'll keep trying.

4 comments:

Heather T. Imagery said...

I understand how it can take years...I have a few areas that I drive by and always say..."I wish I had my camera."

I like your shot, even if it isn't the one that you envision....it begs for a story.

I can't believe it's abandoned - I'd love a house that size and at a distance as it sets.

Very nice, Sara.

Sybil said...

Love the photo. Sad, all the abandoned houses in Nova Scotia.

So much for the big snow storm. Here on the east coats it's raining and the teeny bit of snow is being washed away ...

Pat MacKenzie said...

I wonder why that house was abandoned. Is it still habitable? It looks like the setting of a movie. Your picture of it is lovely.

Taos Sunflower said...

Thanks interesting...well this is a great photo, and it will be fun to see how you capture it further over the years. Happy new year to you...