Tuesday, September 4, 2012

look around you

Yesterday evening we were out on the deck (rather later than usual) waiting for our salmon marinated in maple syrup, spiced rum, and caraway seeds to be finished on the bbq. (and the wait was worth it!) 

A red tailed hawk was in a tree at the edge of our field...he had actually been there for a couple of hours. John spent five hours cutting the field and I think the hawk was taking advantage of the fact that prey was easier to spot. The sun was going down, and the light lit the hawk's chest like a spotlight. I decided it was time to get out the camera. The hawk had stayed in the same place for hours while John cut the field, but he didn't like seeing me coming towards him even though I was quite far away. Off he flew, and I didn't capture the photos I wanted. 

But, all was not lost, as I walked back towards the house I was facing the sun and saw how the light was hitting the flowers in the garden. I loved how the sunlight outlined the hollyhocks in light. Hope you enjoy them too.



A good lesson to always look around you. Even though you may be disappointed in something, there is always something good waiting to happen.

2 comments:

Taos Sunflower said...

A good reminder, thanks!

Sybil said...

Great photos. I love taking shots with the light behind things, but few work out that well.