Friday, December 2, 2011

Abstract In Yellows

Abstract In Yellows
I received a couple of commission orders for my "window art" in October, and I madly worked to try to get them completed before my shoulder surgery. I promised not to post photos of one of the windows until after Christmas, but I am free to post this photo because the woman who ordered it was so excited that she showed a photo of it to the person who's going to receive it at Christmas!

She wanted an abstract design in yellows, and a design that would look okay no matter which direction it was hung in. This window will be going in the garden...likely some kind of structure...and it hasn't been decided whether to hang it horizontally or vertically. I wanted to make an organic design, and hope that they hang it vertically...pictured here is how I would hang it.

I have torn feelings about commissioned work. On the one hand, I love getting a commissioned order. It makes me feel honoured that someone likes my windows enough that they'll give it as a gift (either to themselves or to someone they love). On the other hand, I feel a lot of self imposed pressure when I'm putting together a specific project. What if they don't like it? What if it's not their vision? I put myself through a lot of anguish that doesn't happen when I just create my own design and then send it off to a store to try to sell. Just like everything in life, it's best to have a good balance!

Coming in the next few weeks: my most challenging commission yet!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Just beautifuL!!!...