Sunday, March 6, 2011

To The Beach

We love going to the beach, even in the winter. Friday was a gorgeous, sunny day...but cold. We took the opportunity to introduce our new pup Riley to one of our favourite places. She is a little trooper...we were on the beach for 1 1/2 hours. The trip was also another first for her...her first car ride in the back with Mulligan. The whole thing exhausted her and she slept for hours when we got home.One of the reasons we were so long at the beach? Sand dollars!Usually (if I'm lucky) I'll find one or two sand dollars at Risser's Beach. On Friday, I got a bag full...it was truly amazing how many there were.

206 sand dollars on one trip to the beach! Just how many sand dollars is too many? I don't know...I'm not there yet.

9 comments:

martha brown said...

Wow! Great haul! I hope that Riley hasn't exhausted you :)

Janet said...

Hey Sara: What an amazing haul - in my whole lifetime I have only occasionally found a whole one - most were damaged. What a wonderful treasure - I'm with you - I don't know how many would be enough!!
Enjoy this nice mild period - do you think it's a real spring?

stampernancy@hotmail.com said...

I am so going to Risser's tomorrow!! We once found about that many at Black Point Beach in Pictou County - the kids just keep bringing them to the cottage by the handful!! so cool! Glad you, the puppy and the rest of the gang had a great day!
Nancy LeB in B'water

Karen said...

You're RICH!!

Love that pup, how adorable. Your rocky beaches are just ruggedly beautiful...

Tracey said...

Oooooh, no such thing as too many sand dollars. I am very jealous, I don't think I've ever found more than one or two whole ones before. A few cracked and broken ones, so those would be..what, sand half dollars?

Janet said...

WOW - sand dollar bonanza. We've found lots on Oxner's Beach (Lower LaHave), but never that many. Wonder what's up in the world of sand dollars for that many to be washed up on shore?

Curious as to what you will do with them, Sara - something creative? If so, I hope you share!

BTW - didn't get a chance to say how much I love your new addition. What a beauty - and a very lucky pup ;)

Loth said...

Wow! Hope you left some for us to find!

Moose said...

WOW...sand dollar frenzy for sure!!
Tail Wags,
~moose

Sus said...

Once I found dozens of starfish on a local beach where you are usually lucky to find 1 per year. I collected lots but, like Janet, afterward I wondered why so many & why all at once? Sea, Sun & Sand...dollars. :)