Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unique

This is my second window for the breast cancer awareness series I'm working on. This is actually not a recycled window, but is a chunky frame made with recycled wood. I primed and painted it a pale yellow. I then added glass, and used glass from a window frame obtained from a home renovation in Beach Meadows, Nova Scotia. The clear glass is textured with flowers...I just love it! I mounted it in the frame backwards so that the flat glass is facing out. The textured flowers show through the glass flowers. There is one red flower amoung the blue flowers, hence the title of the piece..."Unique".

There are 9 flowers on the window. One in nine women are diagnosed with breast cancer. One in nine flowers is a different colour on my window. And that is my subtle nod to breast cancer awareness with this piece.We are off to the big city this afternoon....trying to out run an oncoming storm nicknamed in the US the "Woodchuck Whopper". We'll be staying with G and DIL tonight. Tomorrow morning we have a very early appointment with the medical oncologist to talk about the drugs I'll be taking. Tomorrow is also my first day of radiation. I'll be having daily radiation from tomorrow until February 24th (Mondays through Fridays). This is good news!

Now, wish us luck as we battle the snowy highway!

7 comments:

John said...

I love the subtle meaning of your window design. Good luck with your travel and treatment. I will send extra good thoughts your way this month.

Janet said...

Fabulous window, Sara - and I love the layered meanings.

Hope you got out ahead of the storm - although the snow amounts from last night's appetizer were more than I expected. Stay safe - and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Janet said...

Hi Sara: I hope you arrived safely in hfx and ahead of this afternoon's dump. Best wishes and warm hugs.
Janet in Hall's Harbour

NancyMac said...

Love the window Sara! Good luck in Halifax!

Karen said...

The storm here in the US didn't pack quite as big a punch as they predicted... so hopefully you'll find the same... Good luck in Halifax, love your window, another beautiful and thoughtful creation.

Heather T. said...

hahaha...I haven't heard that but it probably originated in Vermont, I wouldn't doubt it a bit...we're all a bunch of woodchucks 'round heeya :)

Your work is SO beautiful, Sara. So beautiful. I love that first shot and how the sun shines behind/through the glass. Gorgeous!!

jodi (bloomingwriter) said...

A lovely piece, Sara. I hope you travelled safely and are staying put until the weather sorts itself out.