Thursday, February 24, 2011

The end is near

I haven't been blogging much, but not to worry....I have been feeling great....radiation treatments have been going well...and guess what???Today is our last day for treatments! Yep...number 16 of 16. After today, we will not have to spend 5 hours a day driving into Halifax...sitting in a waiting room...and driving back home. I disliked commuting in my working days, and that attitude hasn't changed. But...we have been lucky with the weather....and more than lucky with my treatments.

Despite the warnings of side effects, I have been blessed with only mild reactions. I feel tired easily...I have felt absolutely exhausted a few times (solved with a nap)...and I have a weird rash (that the doctor has never seen as a radiation reaction before). I think the rash was caused by the aloe vera (I was told to use aloe to counteract the skin burning that radiation causes).

So, after this afternoon's treatment we celebrate. We were planning on a nice dinner out to celebrate, but our plans changed. Stay tuned for more details.

9 comments:

Heather T. said...

Yay, Sara :) Sorry to hear that you had a reaction to the aloe...I imagine you're right and it must have had something to do with it.

I suppose that I didn't realize the amount of travel time for treatments, those must have been some long days.

Glad that you're on the mend. Enjoy your afternoon celebrating :)

John said...

Hi Sara, I'm so glad to read your post, and I hope you have a thoroughly enjoyable celebration. John

Patchmaker said...

Congratulations! A celebration is definitely in order!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I'm so pleased for you. This has been quite a journey!

Grant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grant said...

Lets hear it for Sara ...way to go girl!

Loth said...

Good to hear it's going so well. And intrigued by the cliffhanger ending, too!........

Janet said...

Hi Sara: Glad you've reached the end of the treatments with no major problems - you have had a very long commute and the season certainly wasn't the right one for it either, but no major mishaps so now you can relax and wait for spring to arrive in its own good time. I'm up late because I let the stove die down but now it is turning much colder very quickly and i will need it, so have stoked it up with kindling and logs and must stay up until it reaches optimum burn and I can close the damper.
Stay well, stay safe and warm and don't leave us in suspese for too long over why you changed your plans.
Hugs
Janet

Spreading the Love! said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!.... Happy Days are here again - and I'm still thinking about that new pup face you have here..

This is Karen of This old House, by the way.. forgot to sign out of Roba dolce. sorry.

So Happy For YOU!