Friday, January 21, 2011

House Tour

There are many abandoned buildings around Nova Scotia. Many homes that were once loved, and now stand empty. When I pass them by, I always wonder what their stories are. A couple of weeks ago, I went on a photo expedition with a friend, and this was our first stop.What a view this home has...overlooking a lake. I wonder that no one has bought the property to build another home.
No window is unbroken.We did not go inside, but stood outside the windows and took some photos.While we were there, I wondered why someone would leave their furniture behind.
But looking at some of my photos, there are charred beams and boarded doors. It seems there was a fire there.
If you look closely, you can see my friend silhouetted in the window. (upper right)
It was all very sad. I'd like to see the home rebuilt and full of sunshine and love. But that is not to be.
Today: my "simulation appointment"....CAT scan and permanent tattoos in preparation for radiation treatments. And I swore I'd never get a tattoo!

8 comments:

Karen said...

It amazes me that a house like this in such a great setting would fall to ruin.

movita said...

It all comes down to this, doesn't it? Beautiful things and sad things rolled into one.

Good luck with everything...

Janet said...

Hi Sara: a lovely setting and a still restorable house. My home looked a lot like this, except there were no broken windows, twenty seven years ago when IU bought it. I hope the roads are ok for you today - more is coming I hear! And so - at your age! - a tattoo. You will have to have it embellished when it is finished "x" martking the spot!!
Take good care of yourself!!!!
Big hugs
Janet

Neil and Susan said...

I thought I was the only one to mourn forgotten houses. Beautiful shots of the house. You caught all the emotion. Hope all went well today Sara! Take care, Susan

aliceinparis said...

Those old homes fascinate me. I always want to know more about who lived there and think about how excited they must have been when the house was brand new.
Yes, polka dot tattoos for you.
Hope all is well.

Sally said...

This reminds me of my grandmother's home when it became uninhabitable, and finally was taken down. I cried for a long time, but can still remember in my mind's eye.

I'm sorry you need radiation, and I'm here from Karen-thisoldhousetoo

Take care.

Patchmaker said...

I'm a huge fan of old houses too! Hope your "simulation" went well.

Lisa RedWillow said...

I loved this blog. I too love old houses and have been in a few like this.