Wednesday, December 29, 2010

hello and goodbye

Isn't it funny how fast time seems to go? Christmas is already a memory and a new year is just days away. We spent Christmas with G, DIL, and Miss M (a lovely few days!) and returned home to find many trees down in our driveway. Most could be moved by hand, but not this one:The trunk was at least 12 inches thick, which meant we parked the car and hoofed up the rest of the driveway on foot so we could get the chain saw and some working clothes on. One and a half hours later, we had the tree cleared and the car up the driveway at the house. It was great to get away for a few days, but it's always wonderful to get home (although we don't usually have to work so hard to get here!).
**************************************
Today we spent almost six hours on the road, touring the area and removing our "Lost Dog" signs. It was time for some closure, and it a very emotional day. As we first started out, an old Garth Brooks song played on our ipod shuffle..."The Dance"...

....How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end,
the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance,
I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance....
We adopted Cassie when she was 4 years old.
We were the 4th family to have her in just four years.
She was a handful.
She was a challenge sometimes.
But she was full of boundless energy and enthusiasm.
We'll never know just what happened on November 15th.
But we do know that we miss her, and her zest for life.
Good-bye my Cassa Rassa Rooney Roo.
It's time for us to let go.
But we'll never forget our 3 years together.

Thanks for the dance.

9 comments:

Loth said...

Very sad to say goodbye, but you can at least draw comfort from the fact that you gave her a fantastic 3 years - you were clearly the family she was meant to be with for that time.

Karen said...

You gave her a wonderful life, it's clear to see. My heart breaks reading this post, I know how much the loss hurts. loved your tribute -

Neil and Susan said...

It was a hard post to read through my tears.... You gave Clancy a great life. It is always hard to say good bye Sara, but you gave Clancy a lifetime. xo

martha brown said...

I'm so sorry that you have had to say goodbye..... Today must have been incredibly hard... thinking of you.....

jodi (bloomingwriter) said...

You are so brave, Sara...a heartrending way to end out the year. But as you say, you had three wonderful years with her, and you gave her the very best of lives while she was with you. Perhaps she's with someone else now...wishing you a happier and healthier new year...

judy said...

A beautiful tribute Sarah.
I'm sorry.(I kept hoping)
No, we'd never have wanted to miss any of our dances.
Love Judy

Christine said...

This post is choking me up. I was there the day you picked her up and I remember how happy she looked in the back seat of your truck. Although you are saying goodbye, we can always hope for a miracle.
Also, the dance is one of my favorite songs. What I get from it is that if you avoid something because you think that it will cause you pain, you will miss out on all the good things that can happen.

Susan said...

I'm sorry I'm coming late to this post. You have no idea how much I've thought about you & Cassie, Cassie & you, that day ... *$#@!?! hunters, fear & loss , grief & sadness, guilt. Honestly I'm not sure that I could be as wise as you are being ... in allowing yourself to let go. To be kind to you. Learning to let go of this kind of ache ... is my biggest challenge in life.

Brave you ! bless you for giving her an amazing 3 years and who knows where she might be, and she'll always be with you.

with much love,
Susan, Sam & Winnie Dixon

Moose said...

tears... I used that song years ago to photos + a remembrance to our very first Golden, Jasper.... as with your special Cassa Rassa Rooney Roo, ....the special memories live on!
One of my favorite Snoopy Quotes: Why can't we get all the people(pets)together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos
Tail Wags to All.
~moose