Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lupins

I have loved Lupins since I first saw them while we were vacationing in Cape Breton 12 years ago. They literally grow like weeds in Nova Scotia, so imagine my disappointment when I discovered that we must be the only rural property in Nova Scotia that didn't have wild Lupins! Not one wild lupin on 20 acres.

I sorted that out last year when I broke down and actually purchased some from a local lady who was selling plants at the side of the road. They are blooming like crazy and I love them. But. It's such a small little bunch.

Last year I collected all their seeds, and planted them in our newly expanded garden. Nothing has come up. I'm not sure if it's because it's been so very dry around here (we received half of last year's rainfall in May, and also year to date) or because our guineas are eating all the sprouts.

We headed out to the local lady's plant stand yesterday so I could (gulp) purchase more lupins but she has put her table away and has no more plants to sell.

It's my goal to have a huge meadow full of them someday, but we've got a long way to go!

Today: we're off to the local Ox Pull. Fun in the country.

2 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...absolutely gorgeous...i didn't realize they came in so many colors...what a palette for the eye! xoxo, mickey

aliceinparis said...

I love lupins too:) They are so pretty everywhere. I had a patch in my garden but they did not do well. I think it wasn't sunny enough:(