Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ticked

We have been in our new province for almost two years, and I am often asked how we have adjusted to the move. My answer is that moving from Ontario to Nova Scotia was an easy adjustment to make and we have loved the change. But moving from a suburban home to "the country" was a much more difficult adjustment, and one we still struggle with now and then.

The biggest problem for me is a four month problem....ticks. Tick season was kicked off this year by the first one being found on me....on the hairline at the back of my neck. I can't describe how much I detest these little creatures. Thankfully this little critter hadn't got his jaws into me, and it was easy to remove and put into our tick jar. Yes, we have a jar (actually two jars...one under the kitchen sink and one outside in our screened in porch). Ticks can't be squished like a regular bug and they are tough to drown. We have vegetable oil in our jars and throw the ticks in the vegetable oil to kill them. Sounds nice, eh?

So each spring I go into a funk and wish I lived in town, where ticks are few...instead of "the country", where ticks are plentiful. For four months our dogs get chained up when they go outside. If we let them run through the field, they come back with 25 ticks (after a five minute run) for me to pick off.

To help us cope, we have guinea fowl.According to local legend, these handsome dudes like to eat ticks (and any other bugs they come across). The downside is that they dig up my gardens and generally make a nuisance of themselves.

Another rite of spring...Cassie gets shaved down to make it easier for me to pick the ticks off her. She got her hair cut today.
I think I might be next. Just thinking about finding that tick in my hairline gives me the willies.
Ahhh...life in the country.

4 comments:

TeresaA said...

I live in town and my dogs get just as many ticks. I find the stuff you put on the base of their tail and neck works quite well (read: cuts down the number of ticks to pick off from 20 to 2).

I hate the little buggers too.

aliceinparis said...

I cannot bear ticks either:(
Eeeeeew...on your neck!!!
I sympathize:)
I don't like inch worms. We get a lot of them dropping off the trees.

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...not fond of ticks either. i have had one that latched on before and the bite is very itchy. we live in the country, but don't have very many, thank goodness. we do however have chiggers which are pretty bad too. i wonder if there is a spay you can use that might help repel them...just a thought. take care, mickey

Loth said...

Hi! Came over to your place from Shelagh's blog and glad I did. I live in Edinburgh, Scotland but am a Nova Scotian by inclination! Love your photos of the province - they will keep me going until my family and I make our annual pilgrimage in June. Off to rummage around in your archives now (and try REALLY hard not to think about ticks.......)