Monday, March 22, 2010

Never heard tell.

"Never heard tell" is an expression we have heard now and then since we moved to Nova Scotia. I'm not sure if it's a Nova Scotian expression, or a turn of phrase that's used by people living "in the country"...or if it's an expression unique to "country" people living in Nova Scotia. In any case, I've heard it quite a bit since moving here.

Last week was garbage week at our place...something that happens once every 2 weeks around here. We have a rather long driveway (1/2 mile) so it's not just a simple carry the bag to the street. We load the recyclables and garbage up in our little ATV trailer or in the back of the SUV and drive it down. But last week our garbage wasn't picked up on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday. So I called the municipal office and got passed around to a few people and was finally told that our road was closed to truck traffic. Well, I never heard tell of this before!

Apparently it's a common thing out here in the country. Spring brings soft roads and spring brings "no trucks over 5000 kg" signs. And spring brings no garbage pick up for people on dirt roads. I loaded the garbage back in the car, and drove it back to the house. I was told to take the garbage out to the closest paved road on the next garbage day and leave it on the side of the road.

Our neighbours tell us this usually happens every spring, but for some reason it didn't happen last year (our first spring here). But as fast as the signs get put up, they get taken down. I snapped the photo of this sign on Saturday (the red barn in the background is the home of the sheep that I'm so fond of and take many photos of) and today the signs were gone.

Never a dull moment around here.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Huh! Never heard tell. :-)

My cousin is from Pennsylvania..and one of her terms is "Can you please outen the light?"...

I'm still not used to it.

daysgoby said...

Do you have a school bus that goes by the end of your road? Just watch for that - the bus isn't allowed to go on soft roads while the load limits are enforced.

You should take a drive down to Brooklyn - (exit 18) In the spring there are VERY PRONOUNCED road ruts in the asphalt, every year!

Anonymous said...

I just had a 'discussion' with my husband about the expression 'never heard tell' where he questioned its correctness. I said, well I'll google it then! I found this hilarious as I am from Nova Scotia and he is from London... I guess I am just country folk! Lol

Anonymous said...

We use that phrase all the time here in Northern Ireland. Well those of us from the country do...

Anonymous said...

IM FROM A SMALL TOWN I HEAR NEVER HEARD TELL ALL THE TIME!!
SO I NAMED MY BAND THAT

http://neverheardtell.bandcamp.com/album/demo

LISTEN TO "LIVING IN A SMALL TOWN"
@TALONCOREY ON TWITTER BITCHES!!
NUTHING BETTER THAN FREE ADDS