Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good to go

Finally, finally a moment to sit down and give a little update. February 28th was the deadline for Paws For Charity artwork submissions, and it has been a little hectic around here...to put it mildly. I am now madly contacting all the artists and putting the pages together for the 2010 Art Book. It is looking fabulous, if I do say so myself.

Four of the past 10 days have been spent helping G and DIL with their packing, moving, and unpacking at their new home, and prepping their existing house for sale. They are "upsizing"... moving to a much larger home... so there is not a great deal of purging going on. Just a lot of moving.


Helping them has given me lots of time to think about our past moves. Our last move was almost two years ago when we moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia... a move of 1000 miles. Although we were moving to a house of roughly the same size, we purged like crazy. (nothing like paying by the pound to make you think twice about moving something!) We shredded paper, we sent things to auction, we gave things away, and we threw things out. It actually felt pretty good! We probably could have done more, but I guess that will happen if we go through a downsizing stage in the future.

Thinking about downsizing got me to thinking about John's mom. Several years ago, she moved from a two bedroom apartment to a one room unit in a retirement home. Then she made one more move, and was only able to keep a few special things. When she passed away, we received the box of things that she kept in her room.

If you could keep just one small box of "stuff", what would you choose? It's a tough question.
For me, I would take my refrigerator photos (we have our frig covered in photos. The photos are stored in individual protectors that have magnets on the back, and plastic on the front... purchased at the dollar store). I have all our family and some friends there... and I can see them every day. Every now and then I replace the photos, but I just place the new photo on top of the old one, so there is a bit of history there. Some people probably think it looks cluttered, but it's one of my favourite things in the house because everyone who is special to me is there.
I would also take one of the paintings done by my mom. She painted this as an engagement gift for my dad...sometime in the late 1930's, early 1940's. It was always in my home growing up, and has been with me ever since my dad gave it to me when he was downsizing and moving. I have many other paintings done by my mom, but this is my favourite.
And...some shells and beach glass found on many walks on the beach with John.
Add a favourite coffee mug and I'm good to go. (currently a mug with a Tom Thomson painting on it...originally full of reds, oranges, and yellows but now much faded)

What would you put into your box?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, now. We have purged! Just not as much as we perhaps should : ) (You weren't around for the many boxes and bags that left this house for re-use in the world.) We will definiately get around to doing more.
Our existing home is uncluttered but rather echo-y at the moment.
Looking forward to settling down by the lake. Thanks for all of your help. We could not have done it without you!
DIL

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...there would definitely be pictures of my boys and some of their artwork which is priceless, oh and pictures of my hairy kids...a few pearls, seaglass and shells...then i think i am good to go, but knowing me i will remember something else later...always do! xo, mickey

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I would take the family photo I had done of the girls and I on my 50th birthday; the 3 plaques with casts of their hands; my wedding rings; and the VHS tapes of the kids.