Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Story of a Christmas Card

The dreams you most deeply cherish
The hopes you would have come true
May the Christmas season in passing
Leave as a Gift for you.
Eric and Doreine Douglas

This Christmas card was hand made in the 1940's by my mom just after World War II. My dad sent me the card in 1990, and I had it framed. I bring it out every December and it hangs in the living room until late January. The story of the Christmas card written to me in a letter from my dad:

"The enclosed card has a story. I received a card with 3 old Christmas cards from Marjorie and Elwood Douglas. Elwood is a cousin of mine. Elwood's mother - my Aunt Arnetta - who is the last living survivor of that generation of Aunts and Uncles - was in a Nursing Home. Marjorie and Elwood were going through her things and found these 3 cards so sent them to me. When we were in St. Marys a few years immediately following the war money was tight and Mother decided to make the Christmas Cards. Mother made 100 or more cards. Arnetta appreciated them enough that she saved them. I am sending one to you, one to your brother, and will give one to your sister."

Even the simplest thing can mean so much to so many people.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Moose said...

Truly special....Merry Christmas to all...and to all a good night & many Tail Wags in 2010.
~Moose

Jennifer said...

What a sweet, wonderful memory.
Wishing you and John a very happy Christmas.

Karen said...

What a wonderful thing to be in possession of, Sara.. and your calendars?.. were a hit. Thank you...