Saturday, November 21, 2009

Olympic Torch Relay

This is what it looked like in Lunenburg last night......for the 2010 Olympic Torch Relay.Lunenburg was selected as a "celebration community" for the Olympic torch. The torch is being run from coast to coast and is the longest domestic relay in Olympic history. The flame will be carried by 12,000 torchbearers across the country. The relay began on October 30th, and will complete its journey in Vancouver on February 12th. There was lots of excitement in the air as we all waited for the flame to arrive.We were entertained with music, and acrobats, and choirs, and glowing Coke bottles...
But finally the big moment arrived...
...and the flame was transferred to the stage.
We all sang Oh Canada. I usually get teary eyed when I sing our national anthem, but this time I actually cried. What a great country to live in!
And even though the Olympics are totally commercialized (glowing Coke bottles and all), it was a once in the lifetime experience and I was glad I was part of it. One of the event sponsors had a great slogan on their sign..."the journey just got better".
A good life slogan, don't you think? I think I'll change it to: The journey just gets better.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Inspiring post, Sara :-)

Moose said...

I can just picture all those folks in beautiful Lunenburg. I saw the torch come through my town of Fort Collins, Colorado when it was headed to Salt Lake City...it is quite a special feeling. No glowing Coke bottles!!
Tail Wags to All.
~Moose

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Oh Sara! I cry too when I sing the National Anthem! And all these years I've been hiding thinking I was the only one!