Thursday, November 5, 2009

Listen

One week ago I picked up 2 guinea keets to add to our "chicky chick" crew. Last night when I went down to move them from their porch into the coop one of the small guineas was acting strange. It wasn't afraid of me, and just sat on the ground. I lifted it up into the coop, and then worried about it all evening. I thought maybe it was chilled (they were raised in a heated coop by our neighbour, and had not been exposed to the outdoors before we had them). I went down at 10pm to check on the hens, and both the small guineas seemed to be okay. Both were moving around when I shone the flashlight into the coop.This morning when I went to let the hens out, one of the keets was dead. So I went to get a bag and a shovel to take it away. And I cried. Shoulda listened to myself and warmed it up in the shed under our heat lamp. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. But it maybe it would. So last week we went from 5 to 7. This week down to 6. Hope the other little guy makes it.

I tried something new with this window, and I'm not sure what I think about it. JK wanted a window with "beachy colours" to go in her office. The window is from a house in Beach Meadows, Nova Scotia. JK said she liked the glass globs, so I thought I'd try making one using only globs and not cut glass. This is a loose interpretation of a beach...green in the bottom corner to signify grass, peach colour for sand, and a mix of blues and clear for the ocean.

I'll have to ponder it for a while. But I am glad I listened to myself on this and tried something new. You never know unless you try, right?

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sorry to hear of your Keet loss...and must tell you I love the window, great job working the layers from grass to ocean.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I'm so sorry about your little Guinea keet.

Very pretty window.

Jennifer said...

So sad! Maybe he was already doing poorly and it didn't have anything to do with the temperature in the coop. At any rate, I'm sorry.

As usual, I think your window is beautiful. Different for you, but lovely still.