Sunday, November 15, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink

This is the first home I have owned where I can stand at the kitchen sink and look out the window as I wash the dishes. (the deal around here most of the time is that John cooks and I clean up). Unfortunately our window overlooks the driveway and car park...not too inspiring.

So...I have my windowsill cluttered up with Sara treasures. Here are my goodies...a glass candy dish that belonged to my mother-in-law...she was the sweetest lady in the world. In the dish are sand dollars and sea urchins found during our beach walks, an empty robin's egg I found on our driveway, and a glass pig. The pig has no significance...I just think he's cute.The small red glass cup says "Roseneath" and is being used as a toothpick holder. This was on display at my parent's house as far back as I can remember, and then my sister had it, but I don't know the history of it. The photos are of our first dog...a Siberian Husky named Bailey, and one of the last photos taken of my sister and me...Canada Day the year before she passed away.
My wee chicken collection...
An old fashioned mason jar filled with beach glass collected during our beach walks. An old marmalade jar given to me by DIL, holding two fantastic forks artistically created by Linda at the LTCreatesJewelry etsy shop. I ordered them to use in one of my stained glass windows...I was going to create one or two "kitchen windows" filled with stained glass and kitchen doodads...but I liked the forks so much I haven't dared use them yet! (by the way, Linda makes lovely jewelry too if you're looking for a unique Christmas gift). Lastly, the crystal butterfly was given to me by my dad...a most unusual gift from him. He used to give me practical things like outdoor thermometres and plastic things to put under your car tires when you get stuck...that kind of thing. So I treasure my butterfly, and it throws lovely rainbows on the kitchen ceiling on sunny days.
What treasures do you have on your kitchen window sill?

6 comments:

Karen said...

I have a three -legged pig from Haiti that is supposed to bring good luck, seaglass from my many scavenger hunts along the shores of anywhere I've been... lucky striped stones from same seashore hunts, a ceramic soap dish my son made in Kindergarten, and two tiny little glass owls.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I have an iron mermaid (she's never fallen on the dishes yet thank goodness), a prism, a tart burner (for those odors that sometimes linger after dinner) and a scallop shell containing my daughters ring (she's away) and a thumb tack.

Mickey Johnson said...

...i love your window treasures...especially the picture of you and your sister. i have on my sill a photo of my boys, a rooster with folk art heart and vines painted on him, several empty vases...don't know why, a small pitcher filled with silk sunflowers and our empty goldfish bowl filled with sea shells, rocks and sea glass...xo, mickey

Linda said...

This is a great post, Sara, eliciting delightful responses. Alas, my kitchen sink is in the corner. I have a view of the wall.

Jennifer said...

Gah! I don't have a kitchen window sill. It's one of the few things about this house that bugs me. Thanks for sharing your treasures with us.

Judy said...

Hi Sarah
My mother loved roast chicken, and on her window sill she always had a drying wishbone for family to use when we needed a wish granted. Now I gaze at a propped-up wish-bone waiting for wishes while drying the dishes. Thanks so much for a lovely blog.