Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nature

The Nature Competition was completed at our last Photo Club meeting. The first competition was "print", followed at the next meeting with the "projected" competition. There are 3 judges, and each judge rates the photo from a low score of 2 to a high of 5. That means the lowest a photo can score is 6, and the highest score is 15. Photos are judged "anonomously"...the judges don't know who submitted the photo, and the photographers don't know what score each judge gives...they just know the total score. The thing I dislike about the process is that no feedback is given. I'd like to be able to improve my skills, but with no direction it's a hit and miss kind of thing. Anyway, here are my four submissions for Nature. My butterfly scored a 9, meaning it's an average sort of photo:My puffins scored a 14:
My potato beetle scored a 12 (the highest score for the evening. Despite my summer battles with my potato beetles, I guess they were good for something!):My fungus shot is a bit of a mystery to me. It scored a measly 8...the lowest score of the evening...yikes!
I personally love this photo, which I guess is all that matters. I like the angles, and I like the 3 fungus (fungi?) and how they are laid out in the photo. But I would have liked some feedback all the same.

3 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love the puffins, they being Newfoundland's provincial bird and all! And I also love the fungi photo; I don't understand why it scored so low either -- it's lovely. Did you get a look at the other entries? Perhaps you can get some idea of how to improve if you do a comparison. And make the suggestion to them to give feedback.

Karen said...

Love the puffins..my guess with the fungi is there is not alot of contrast, it's sort of muted, sometimes that's exactly the right thing and sometimes it takes away from the photo.

aliceinparis said...

I've always liked that puffin shot! Well done with the beetle too. Great shot:) The fungi is my least favourite and I'm not sure why. Maybe because my eye is wandering around the picture too much? My eye is trying to find a focal point to rest on? I don't know, I do like the subject matter, interesting.