Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Morning Walk

John was busy this summer cutting walking paths through our fields, and now I am busy every day (twice a day) walking on them. We measured the distance of the paths, and there's more than one mile of walking on them thar paths. So, first thing in the morning (after I toss on some sweats, feed the cat, clean the cat box, let the dogs out, make the coffee, eat some yogurt, get on the outdoor gear) the dogs and I head out for our first walk of the day. Here, looking down the field towards the far end of our 20 acres: One of my favourite sights...the sun coming through the trees:
At the bottom of the field, we take a left turn which leads us across the back of the property (yes, the ground is sloped here):
Ahhh...we finally get out of the shade and into the sun: From the back left corner, looking up towards the house (can you see the house in the gap between the trees?):
And one of my favourite spots of this walk...the trees at the end of our "rock island" (rocks that were picked from the fields by farmers in the past): I like stopping here, and looking up. No leaves now, and not a sound this morning:
Out of the trees, and into the upper field...almost home: We'll join John, and then we'll head down for another mile long walk to get the paper. Then...my reward...a nice hot cup of coffee!

5 comments:

Moose said...

Loved following along on your AM walk...I can just picture it in my mind. Congratulations on the beautiful new book...looks fabulous!
Happy Pumpkin Day + Tail Wags to All.
~Moose

Karen said...

Lovely post... only thing I would have changed is..coffee in hand as I walk! I'm impatient that way :-)

Christine said...

Sounds so tranquil. I bet the dogs love it as much as you do! Isn't it nice to have this just outside your door!

aliceinparis said...

What a spread! Does your house have a name? I've always thought that if I ever moved to the country, I'd name my house Linden Lea, after my grandmother's home.
Love your walk.

Word Weaver Art said...

I am four months from retirement... 80 more schooldays... (but who's counting). I've loved my 32 years of being a teacher, but as I read posts like this, I'm so anxious to learn about that next chapter of life. That chapter where I can decide how to spend each day... where I can go on a long walk... even two... where (as you put it a few posts ago) a holiday weekend doesn't mean that much when you're retired...
H