Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sara's Folly

Some of you know that I use old wooden window frames to make "window art" using coloured glass. (see samples on the right side bar). A few months ago, I was looking for some more windows and put a classified ad in the Rural Delivery magazine (I get 4 free ads each year since I am a subscriber). I forgot to tell John about this, and when we started to get phone calls about windows he was a little surprised...but that's another story. We picked up 8 windows from a local woman and they were in great shape.

I also had a couple of conversations with a man from Aulac, New Brunswick (a 3+ hour drive from our place). He had lots of windows that have been stored in a shed, but they were bigger than I usually use for my window art. And I couldn't get them out of my mind. (this is where the "folly" comes in). A couple of months go by, and here we are......setting out for New Brunswick with our trailer to pick up some windows.We got lots of help loading them up. They were in a loft inside the house, and were handed out the sliding glass doors to John, who then passed them to me standing in the trailer, and then were put into place by the owner's brother in law (pictured above). The trailer got filled with 30 windows, and they all got strapped on. Here is the century old house they came from:Another 3+ hour drive home, and all the windows arrived safe and sound with nary a split or crack. And...the sun shone for the first time in 2 weeks. Must be a sign.So....what are we going to do with all these windows? That's where "Sara's Folly" comes in. We're going to build a green house. Stay tuned. Warning: it may take a while for us 2 non handy people to accomplish this!

3 comments:

aliceinparis said...

Wow, you scored real big! Those windows will make an amazing greenhouse/solarium/conservatory:)

julia said...

That's a beautiful idea !

Jennifer said...

How exciting! Ultimate recycling.
I would have loved to have seen the inside of that beautiful house.
Good luck with your green house construction.