Friday, July 10, 2009

Gardening for beginners

Readers from last fall will remember this post. That day resulted in my frozen shoulder. (still frozen, but no pain for the last couple of months which I am VERY thankful for!) Anyway, here are the veggie gardens starting out: Front left: two kinds of tomatoes (Nova Scotian, Early Girl)
Front right: spinich, 3 kinds of lettuce (2 of which decided not to join us), beets (the newspaper said beets were a great veggie to do with kids since they were so easy to grow. Only 3 beets are growing, so I reseeded them 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of more beets)
Middle left: yellow beans
Middle right: green beans (beans are ok, but not great...beans were one thing I could grow well in Ontario. Nova Scotia seems to be a different story. Maybe the guineas are eating the sprouts?)
Back left: peas (pole and snow)
Back right: potatoes (more on this below)
Out of sight: zuchini and pumpkins

Our neighbours are true country folk, and have the most glorious (and huge) veggie garden. They toured our garden 2 weeks ago and thankfully didn't laugh at our attempts. Some good advice about potatoes, which we have never grown before. Everyone has always said to "hill" postatoes, but I was never very clear on the whole concept. When do you hill them? How high? Why exactly? This might seem silly to someone who has always had a garden, but not to me. Something else I have just learned about:The potato beetle. There have been no potatoes grown on our property for at least 50 years. So where do the beetles come from? I don't know, but I do know that I'm supposed to pick off the beetles by hand and squish them. Yuck. I do it, but I don't have to like it! I suppose it will all be worth it if I get to actually eat any home grown potatoes!

Tonight: we're off to Petite Riviere to see the Porkbelly Futures.
Tomorrow: I'm off to an on site auction in the morning, and Paint Mahone Bay in the afternoon
Sunday: off to the big city of Halifax to Viewpoint Gallery to see a presentation (No Vacancy: A Disappearing History) by Angela Carlsen

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's all a learning process, right? Here's to continued growth!

aliceinparis said...

Good for you to jump in and start a garden. They are mysterious and rewarding:) There seems to be no ryhyme or reason why they do well or not. Fun to watch things grow! I love zucchini because of their yellow flowers and wild sprawling growth and abandon!
Hope you had a great weekend, looking forward to pics:)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I used to pick off potato beetles and put them in a jar of soapy water. (I hated squishing them in my fingers!) If you get them while their young, of course, it saves on their #s.