Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canada Day Sparkles

July 1st is Canada Day, and we got to spend the day in my favourite way...with family, enjoying small town Canadian pride. G, and DIL and Miss M joined us from the "big city" and we spent the day discovering how they celebrate Canada Day in small town Nova Scotia. We enjoyed the parade in New Germany...floats, and marching bands, and lots of candy for Miss M. Then we moved on to the Ox Pull, where Miss M saw lots of oxen teams and even got to "brush" one of the winning pair at the end of one of the pulls (country talk for "pet").
We ate candy floss, freshly deep fried mini donuts sprinkled with sugar and bbq'd sausages. We watched an ATV pull and tried to figure out the rules.But my favourite part of the day......was when we got home and DIL brought out the sparklers.

2 comments:

aliceinparis said...

I think the rural towns have the best Canada Day celebrations!! You don't see oxen much these days.
I really love the second sparkler picture!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What beautiful pictures of the sparklers. I didn't get to use mine this year. I spent the day in preparation and from 4-9:30, I hosted a going away/Canada Day party for Sarita and her friends and my girls and their friends. As I said to them as they headed out the door to watch the firewords: "Thank you so much for coming by and eating all my food and messing up my house!"