Thursday, July 30, 2009

Art auctions

These are all my silent auction goodies from various "Wet Paint Sales". My first purchase was at the 2008 Lunenburg Wet Paint Sale..."Garden Chair" painted by Anne Fraser. I have looked for information about Anne on line, but I can't find a web site for her and I don't know anything about her. But I love this painting. That chair is just waiting for me to sit in. One thing I learned after last year, was not to bid on watercolours that weren't a standard size...otherwise, framing can be quite expensive. I would have bid on a 2nd painting by Anne Fraser this year (one of my favourite scenes from Blue Rocks) but it was also a non standard size and I didn't want another costly framing experience.

This year I bought 3 little paintings ($15, $20, $25). I can't find info about any of the artists online. Here are this year's finds:
From the Mahone Bay sale, by Pat(?) Galloway. I love old houses, and thought this 5 x 5 acrylic painting was charming.
Above, "Stump" by Mary Catherine McDonnell done in mixed media (ink and watercolour I think). Sorry about the reflection, it's behind glass. Painting is 3 1/2 by 5 inches, matted to 5 x 8.
And tiny "Lunenburg Church" by Nicole Power. Acrylic, 3 inches by 4 inches. I photographed this church back in January while on a photo expedition with my photography club.

Very happy with my little gems!

4 comments:

Julie Magers Soulen said...

Wonderful collection! I too love that chair! It's so inviting.

aliceinparis said...

Great buys. All of them different:)
I think I like the green house best:)

Anonymous said...

I am interested in the Pat Galloway
painting that you purchased recently. I have a 1968 Patrick Galloway painting entitled "My Son" that I would like more information on. Interested to know if there is a year on your painting or if you have learned any more about your Galloway painting.

Sara said...

Actually, I found out my painting is by Colleen Galloway, not Pat Galloway. Here is a link to her bio:
http://vans.ednet.ns.ca/artist_pages/cgalloway.html