Thursday, June 4, 2009

Profile: Vanessa Sam

Vanessa Sam
Photopia.etsy.com

Vanessa's photo "Dad and I" is on page 36 of the 2009 Paws For Charity Art Book.

Vanessa tells us a bit about herself:

I grew up in Hong Kong and moved to Vancouver, Canada for my high school years. Subsequently, I moved to Berkeley, California for college and have stationed here ever since. I live with my husband and our miniature schnauzer Bach, who's been our wonderful companion for 10 years. My full time job is in a field that is devoid of creativity; I am a healthcare finance consultant working for corporate America. Despite my career choice, I feel that deep down inside I am a creative soul. There are 2 channels where I express my creativity, both as different from each other as my full time job and my hobbies. First is knitting, I won't dwell on how I became a knitter but I have an Etsy store for that as well: knitopia.etsy.com. The second obviously is photography.

I believe because I have lived in different places and have been exposed to different cultures and the fact that I love traveling really open my mind to new ideas and new perspectives. When I travel to new places is when my creativity flows. There is so much beauty in this world. In the traditional sense, we have sunsets, natural landscapes, amazing architecture, all of which I love to photograph. But I also find beauty in the mundane, be it the flicker of a candle, a single rose, or even a cup. A good photographer can also turn something ugly in the traditional sense into a meaningful beautiful image capture. So really, I am inspired by the world; if one would pause for a moment or two everyday, one would begin to see beauty in everything.

Not unlike other photographers, I have always been interested in photography ever since I was a kid but without proper guidance and exposure, there were more disappointments than success. A big part of it was also that in the old days good quality photographic equipment was much less accessible to the general public
because of price and technology; nowadays with the advent of digital photography and falling prices, it is relatively easy to get hold of reasonably good equipment, which in turns enables me to improve at a really fast pace. It has only been several years since I rekindled this interest of mine and officially I have had my Etsy store since February 2008. I am still trying to find my own style and niche. At the current stage, I find myself interested in a wide range of subjects and am constantly exploring different styles. On the whole though, I tend to gravitate towards minimalism and simple geometry and lines within each frame. I also love the sense of peace and serenity that nature provides us, so you would often see me photographing zen style subjects as well.

No comments: