Sunday, May 10, 2009

Magnolia Festival

We headed over to Annapolis Royal yesterday for the Magnolia Festival. I had visions of hundreds of magnolias in my head on our drive. We were both quite disappointed in the lack of blossoming magnolias, as well as the fact that absolutely nothing seemed to be going on...not even the public washrooms were open! (opening date: May 15) However, Annapolis Royal is quite a picturesque town and I love to walk around and take photos. We had a wonderful lunch at Leo's. I had West African peanut soup, and a half curried chicken sandwich on home made bread with pecans and apricots....mmmm...yum!
On our way out of town, we stopped at a garden tour. It was the most spectacular private garden I've ever seen. The owners started their garden 15 years ago, and now it covers one acre. It's full of winding paths, beautiful flowers and shrubs, and a babbling brook. The owners were thrilled that I wanted to take photos. I might post some tomorrow. However the photos really don't do their garden any justice. Their garden was quite inspiring.
We decided to take a "short cut" back home and headed on a road through West Dalhousie to Highway 10. We knew the road was gravel, but were again surprised by Nova Scotia roads. More like an atv trail, our short cut may have been shorter as the bird flies, but I'm sure took us an hour longer than the long way would have. The road took us through hundreds of acres of clear cuts and was quite depressing. We were wondering if the land is part of the land that Irving is trying to sell. Dismal.We found a quaint little church on the road and stopped to take a few photos and let the dogs out. There was no sign on the church, so I'm not sure if it's still used. I love old churches, and used to dream about converting one into a home. Not sure why the idea seemed so appealing, but for a time I was quite obsessed about this!
Another thing that fascinates me...old graveyards.

2 comments:

aliceinparis said...

I love the Gardens at Annapolis Royal.I think they open later in the season. Your pictures are great. I enjoy old graveyards too:)
Happy Mother's Day!

Jennifer said...

Old churches and old schools! For me I think it has something to do with wood floors and big windows. Both desirable in a home, right?