Friday, January 30, 2009

Paws For Charity - 2009 Art Book Project

What is this project?
An art book compilation of photographs or paintings from approximately 38 artists, featuring dogs and/or cats to raise money for breast cancer charity. (ie, dog, cat, dog and cat, dog with person, cat with person....etc)

Who will participate?
I am looking for up to 38 artists or photographers who are willing to contribute one jpeg file of a piece of art or photograph featuring a dog and/or cat. (copyright of the image remains with the artist)

What are the details?
Books will be produced through an online on demand publishing company (ie, Blurb.com or something similar).
Online price will be set at $5 above publishing cost.
Profits will be donated to a breast cancer charity.
Each page of the book will have one image and the name and contact information of the photographer/artist.
Copyrights of the images will remain with the contributors.

What do dogs and cats have to do with breast cancer?
I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 21, and have had a few scares myself over the past 8 years. My first Paws For Charity project was selling Crunch for a Cure dog biscuits when I owned a dog biscuit company. I believe there is a very strong bond between people and their pets. In a nutshell, I use this project to tie the two things together.

What is the commitment required of participants?
1. submit a jpeg image (resolution 300 or higher, maximum size 6.9 inches high/wide) of your art/photo to email address
saraharley(at)ns(dot)sympatico(dot)ca
with Paws For Charity as your subject line.
Participants will be selected at the beginning of March. If your image is selected I'll need:
2. A brief bio with your image detailing: - your name - the website or blog address you would like published in the book - a 1 inch x 1 inch black and white photo of yourself
3. contributors agree to include a Paws For Charity logo on their blog and/or website with a link to the Paws For Charity blog (this will be provided to you)
4. contributors agree to post an article on their blog about their participation in the project
5. contributors will be encouraged (but not required) to post articles on their blog about the other participants

What benefits will participants receive?
- all participants will be listed on the Paws for Charity blog, with links to their websites or blogs
- a separate blog post featuring each participant will be posted on two blogs: Paws for Charity and Dream Big
- articles about the project and participants will be sent to online ezines and hard copy magazines
- any known articles published will be communicated to all participants
- the completed book will be available at cost to all participants (however participants are not required to purchase any books)

Know someone?
If you know someone who may be interested in participating, please let them know about this project...the more, the merrier!

Timelines:
If you are interested in participating, please let me know as soon as possible.
Artwork submissions will be required by February 28, 2009.

Final Selections:
Final selection of participants will be made by me on or before March 6, 2009.
Contributors will be selected to ensure a well balanced art book of photos & artwork.

INTERESTED?
If you are interested in participating please send me an email or leave a comment with your email address. I'll email you with the details.

6 comments:

aliceinparis said...

Hi there, I'm interested. Have a look through my Etsy shop and pick whatever print you would like and I will send it as a jpeg to you. Great idea. Cheers, Shelagh

Jennifer said...

Count me in!

julia said...

I almost missed this. Sorry, I have had and am having things I need to sort out and have been a bad blog friend. Please count me in. I would be delighted to participate, if you still have room for one more artist.

Blenda said...

Wow, what a great idea! Yes, I would love to enter my artwork. I will respond to your etsy convo. Thanks for the invite. -Blenda

PurrPrints said...

Thanks for the convo asking me if i'm interested; I'd certainly be happy to contribute to this cause. Let me know which image you're interested in (my most popular are Sabrina and Friends, Floppy Cat, and Kitty Love) if you have a particular one in mind and what size and resolution you need the image to be. I'll also need to know how long of an artist blurb you'd like. my email address is purrprints at gmail dot com

Horseartist said...

I would be happy to be included. I submit my painting, "Shadow Under the Easel" pictured on this blog post.

http://www.akalranch.com/2009/01/simple-things/