Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bald Eagles in Sheffield Mills

Yesterday we travelled over to Sheffield Mills to their 18th annual Eagle Watch.

All I can say was...it was awesome to see so many eagles in one spot. When we arrived, we could see 6 bald eagles in the trees surrounding the field and I thought it was fantastic.And then...

Then more eagles came. And they started to feed. And it was absolutely amazing. I went a little trigger happy with my camera and ended up with 400 photos. It's taking me a while to go through them, but here are a few to share with you...This is either a female or a juvenile male. As you can see, the colouring is completely different from the male bald eagle.Above is a male getting ready to land. During the two weekends of the festival, volunteers put chickens in the field for the eagles to feed on. That draws the eagles, which in turn draws the crowds to see them. (don't be squeamish...the chickens are not live!)Aren't they magnificent? Totally awesome. I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

6 comments:

Dave Zeman said...

Great photos...

There is a nice groupings of eagles nearby on the Mississippi too. You have to pull off and watch them or it creates dangerous driving with your head at a right angle.

HA

Dave

Christine said...

Magnificent! What a priveledge to be able to be so close to such a beautiful creature.

Jennifer said...

That last one! Amazing.

I remember once walking along the Puyallup river in western WA with my dog. We stopped at a spot with a bench and we sat down for a rest (Lucy was a puppy then - short legs + long walk = tired puppy.)
We were enjoying the sound of the river, the sights and smells (Lucy with the smells of course) when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I look up and there were two bald eagles in a nearby tree. I couldn't believe how BIG and regal they were. Just hanging out by the river waiting for lunch to swim by. I didn't have my camera with me. Damn.

aliceinparis said...

My friends were up there yesterday. I've never been but keep meaning too. I must see if it is on next weekend:) I've seen eagles in Cape Breton. the are amazing.

Angelique said...

OMG...amazing!!! I would of been trigger happy too.

martie said...

Lucky you! It must be wonderful to watch so many at one place. I heard on the news that a town near us, along the Mississippi River, had lots too. But I heard it AFTER the event so I didn't get any photos!!