Monday, January 19, 2009

Awards and Poppies

Look what I got from Jennifer today!It's the Blogging Friends Award.
I came across Jennifer's In The Meantime blog last year, through a mutual blogging friend. The photos on her blog are inspiring, and I always enjoy her musings. We seem to have a lot of similarities.

Here are the rules of this award: "These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find, and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight or more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

Well, I only follow a few blogs due to my dial up computer life so I won't give away eight awards. Aside from Jennifer's blog, here are a few blogs that belong to talented women who inspire me:
Shelagh
Julia
Jamie
Angelique

And now for something completely different...Here are the poppy paintings I was working on yesterday. Both were done in acrylic, and both were based on the same sketch. The first is a 5 x 7 inch painting on paper primed for acrylic paintings. The second is much larger...I used a 16 x 20 inch canvas. I also used another medium for some added texture.Here's a close up. Can you guess what I used?I should have taken a photo of the two paintings together to show the large size difference. I'm quite happy with both paintings. I do of course want to get better, so if you have any feedback, let me know.

5 comments:

aliceinparis said...

Thanks for the award:)))
I LOVE poppies. Love the colours, the shape, the textures, love everything about them:))
Nice paintings, so bright and cheerful on this bleak winter's day.
I often paint poppies but haven't done any in a while. hmmmm.
Cheers, Shelagh xo

Jennifer said...

Poppies are one of my all-time favorite flowers. Your paintings are gorgeous. Did you use paper to create the texture on the second canvas? My friend Monica is an artist also and does some wonderful mixed-media stuff.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5095083
Are the poppies going in your shop?

Can't wait to check out your bloggy friends!

Anonymous said...

LOT IT!! Did you use string or wool? You can really see the texture difference between painting #1 and #2.
As always BEAUTIFUL!
DIL
xo

Simply Me Art said...

Hi Sara, First, the painting are Gorgeous. The colors are uplifting. I am a huge Poppy lover living here in Cali we have many. Thank you, Thank you for this Inspiring Award. I am so pleased and honored that you would think of me and my blog as inspirational! LOL.. I just try to get thru one day at a time in my Crazy Bubble I call my life. Today is a new chapter for everyone, Thanks again, Jamie

Angelique said...

{I've been MIA}
LOVE the poppies.
Your paintings always amaze and inspire me.
Thank you sooo much for the award.