Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Time Flies

It really seems like yesterday that we picked Cody up at the airport for his 13 day visit. But yesterday we actually took him back to the airport to send him back to Ontario. How can 13 days go by so quickly?

A little recap of our Christmas:

Cody arrived on December 16. We had a quiet couple of days, and then G (Cody's step brother) picked up Cody and took him to Halifax for a night on the town. He stayed over at G and DIL's place, and the 3 of them and Miss M arrived at our place on the 19th. We spent a couple of quiet days at home (interspersed with trips into town and walks outside, etc) and G and DIL went back home on Sunday. Monday night we were supposed to pick up our friends at the airport. But weather was terrible and caused flight delays everywhere. Our 9:30 pm pick up at the airport turned into a 4:00 am pick up instead. We all arrived home at 6:30 am on Tuesday and headed to bed for a nap (gone are the all nighter days of our youth!).

The friends I mentioned are actually very special people....Cody's dad and stepmom. When we told people that my ex and his wife were coming to spend 4 days with us at Christmas, they look at us strangely and say "Really?". Yes, really. We are so very lucky to consider them friends. Cody's gift to the four of us was an outing to a movie. He's a Jim Carrey fan, so he took us all to see Yes Man. After reading a bad write up in the paper, I didn't have high hopes for the movie. But I really enjoyed it. Based on a true story, there's a good movie message about opening yourself up to new things. Something to think about for the new year.

Then it was time for a special birthday dinner. Happy Birthday to the man in my life.Unfortunately, 3 of our guests couldn't make it but we had a wonderful supper. And then a not so early bedtime for us folks that had only 2 hours of sleep!

On Christmas Eve G, DIL and Miss M arrived. Our house was full of people and laughter.One of the most heard phrases of the evening "No Cassie, No!". Our dog Cassie gets anxious with other people around and runs around grabbing things to chew. Over the holidays she ate (at different times) three bananas with peel, two boxes of instant chocolate mousse (including the boxes), a cranberry muffin from Di's plate, dinner rolls from the Christmas dinner table, my dog walking hat, and magic reindeer food (including the plastic tube). Magic reindeer food might be good for reindeer, but it's definitely not good for dogs. Oh well, I digress.

Christmas morning all the adults were pleasantly surprised. Miss M (age 7) stayed upstairs until 8 am...a very reasonable hour! Then came a marathon of stockings and presents. Good thing we all agreed to cut back this year. I can't imagine what it would have been like otherwise. The turkey dinner was preceeded by the family photo. Usually I set up the timer and run for the photo. This year I have a remote. Of course, I couldn't get it working so set up the timer after making everyone wait to eat. So this year's photo has me running to sit down.I didn't have the heart to make people wait longer for their turkey.

Boxing Day we headed back to the airport to drop off E and Di. We heard from them after they arrived home....3 hours late because of a delay in take off!

Saturday we headed out on a little tour to show Cody some of the sights. We stopped at the beach. The beach? Yes, John and I like going to the beach even in the winter. No one else liked it much though.This is one of my absolute favourite photos from the holidays. This was unplanned. I yelled for everyone to turn around and then snapped the photo. They are all so evenly spaced, it makes me laugh to look at. And don't they look warm?

Here is another funny one. I set up the remote to take a photo of all of us. This time, I got the remote working but didn't get the camera pointed in the right direction. Here is our group photo:
Yup, that's me. With part of DIL showing to my right. Ha! One of these days I'll get it right.

G, DIL and Miss M left us on Sunday. Monday we took Cody to the airport. This is the last photo from our visit:Yes, that's me with the remote. I finally got it to work!
And today. Today the house is quiet. The dogs are at peace. How can 13 days go by so quickly?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...what wonderful photos. It was a great time. We are looking forward to bombarding your home again for our New Year's Eve celebration.
Lots of Love,
DIL
xo

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful time you had!
I love the photos.
You make having a blended family sound and look easy. You're blessed, but I know you know that.
Happy new year, Sara.

aliceinparis said...

I love your pictures. The ones on the beach had me laughing. "Don't they look warm?"
I am sure as much as you will miss your company, it is nice to have a bit of quiet too.
I hope you have a fun and joy filled 2009.
Cheers, Shelagh