Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apple adventures

Did I mention that we have many, many apple trees? And many, many, many apples? Too many for the deer to eat. So I've been busy. Yesterday I picked a bunch of apples.Three pails for us, and a wheelbarrow full for the dogs. We feed our dogs a natural diet, so they will be eating apples with their meat and starches for the next days/weeks/months. We get the good apples from the trees for ourselves. The dogs get the good apples from the ground. The deer get the apples from the ground that drop overnight. And the composter gets the deer leftovers.

The thought of peeling thousands of apples didn't ap-peel to me (ha! couldn't resist). So I bought myself a nifty little tool from Lee Valley Tools. This baby peels, cores, and slices all in one motion. All you have to do is stick the apple on a set of prongs...and crank the handle. It starts to peel the apple...And then it slices the apple...
And voila, you remove the sliced apple and the core stays on the prongs. You remove the core, and start over again with another apple. The whole operation only takes 30 seconds! The sliced apple goes into the pot, the core goes into the composter, and the peels go to the guinea hens.
And what do you do with all those apples? You make applesauce.And you freeze bags full of them. And you make applesauce bread. Yum!
Spiced Applesauce Bread - taken from the 1983 Westway United Church Cookbook. This recipe was submitted by Dorothy Girard and it sure goes over well around here!
1 1/4 cups applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
3 tbsp milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds
Topping: 1/4 cup chopped nuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar (I use slightly less), 1/2 tsp cinnamon
In a bowl combine the first five ingredients. Sift dry ingredients and add to applesauce mixture. Fold in nuts. Put in loaf pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake for 1 hour (I needed to bake for 65 minutes) at 350F. Makes 1 loaf.

2 comments:

Angelique said...

I'm so jealous (in a good way). I want to make my own apple sauce with apples from my own tree. And that apple gadget. Too cool!!!

julia said...

Oh, apple sauce bread ?! That sounds delicious. I'll try that, definitely. Our dogs have been eating grapes, not because we make it part of their diet, but because they weren't supposed to. Made the grapes a whole lot more interesting, apparently.
That peeler looks like a must have. Thanks for the information.