Thursday, September 25, 2008

Foundations and fences

Our property used to be a farm (now it's just a farm wannabe) and has the remnants of the foundations for the original home and barn.It's been at the back of my mind since we moved here 5 months ago that I wanted to clear out the foundation from the original house. I should have taken a "before" photo, but of course I didn't. It was filled with raspberry bushes, and junipers, and garbage....lots of garbage. Roofing tiles, bicycle chains, plastic wrap, plastic plant pails. Do people think that garbage like that is going to just disappear? Send it to the dump folks!Anyway, after a few hours of work, most everything was cleared out. I left a couple of trees growing and now I'm not sure what to do with it except keep it clear. Any suggestions?The wood remaining is from a huge old apple tree that had been growing out of the foundation. The tree has died and I'll need a chain saw (and a chain saw operator) to help me get rid of it.I don't know why I felt such a need to complete this project. I guess it's my way to acknowledge the history of our property and the people who came before us. Somehow it offended me that what was left of them was uncared for and filled with someone else's garbage.

Did you notice how small the foundation is? Modern day people would never live in such a small home!

My ongoing project...A fence that I'm created from all the brush that we clear. I'm mounding it up and will plant vines to grow over the mounds. I read about it years ago in a Harrowsmith Country Living magazine. I can't find any information about this type of fencing on the internet. I did a search for "living fence" and came up with some sites talking about planting willow cuttings, intertwining the branches, and having a fence that was living. My fence is a little different, but hopefully will be home for many birds and wildlife.

Today: washing our cat and 3 dogs and building a swing for one of our apple trees.

No comments: