Saturday, December 29, 2007

Memories of Christmas Present - Part 1

Our family celebrations start off on December 23rd every year....John's birthday. When he was growing up, he thought having a birthday on the 23rd of December was a downer because he never got a birthday present. When he was young, a hockey stick for Christmas was cause for celebration. Christmas Day would be spent on the frozen lake playing hockey with his mom in goal and 3 brothers.

But, skipping ahead a few years...now a birthday on the 23rd is a good thing because at least one of "the kids" is home for Christmas and therefore able to join in the birthday celebration. Now the best gift we can receive is our family home visiting. This year, only Cody could make it home. But the three of us had a fine afternoon and dinner.

We picked Cody up at the train station at 3:00 and arrived home to find the kitchen in a bit of disarray. It seems that Cassie was a little upset at being left behind, and managed (I don't know how) to pull things from the top of a cabinet. If you have been reading this blog, you know that we have learned that the kitchen counter is fair game for Cassie. Now we also know that the top of our pantry cabinet is also fair game. She (along with a little help from some friends named Mulligan and Cinder) ate a 2 pound bag of flour, a box of baker's chocolate, and a bag of dried cranberries...all complete with packaging. Yes, I know chocolate is toxic for dogs. I was very worried, but no one seemed to have any ill effects (although there was plenty of outside excursions the following day).

After the clean up (welcome home Cody!) we decorated the tree. Cody put the finishing touch on the top...
Time for John's birthday dinner...starting with home made carrot soup. The next course was a spinich salad with warmed apples baked in maple syrup and balsamic vinegar dressing. The main course: baked ham, cheese & brocolli scalloped potatoes, and a mixture of green & yellow beans & carrots. And for dessert...
A two layer home made chocolate fudge cake with a mint flavoured whipped cream layer in the centre. Topped with a chocolate glaze and crushed candy canes...and a dollop of whipped cream. I'm not fond of cooking (John looks after that very well on most days!) but I love making John's birthday dinner. Maybe not so much talent goes into the meal, but lots of love. Since I know he reads my blog...Happy Birthday John! You are my partner, my love, and my life. Thanks for sharing your birthdays...and all the days between...with me.

3 comments:

Simply Me Art said...

Hi Sara, Thank you for stopping into my Blog. What a Beautiful Post this is. That cake is to die for! To answer your question, Pass the Crap- You bring a something you received throughout the year that is Crap to you, usally something funny and serves no purpose. You wrap up all pretty, and they all go together in the middle of the room and we draw numbers to see who picks in what order. You can also steal someone else's crap!! Actually , you can get some Great stuff thru Crap.. I hope you dont think Im a nut for explaining this to you... hehehe, Happy New year, Jamie

Angelique said...

How sweet!!
You sure have your hands full with that Cassie. :-) And I want to adopt another dog....hmmmmm. And my husband wants a Schnauzer. If I remember correctly that is what Cassie is...correct??

julia said...

Ha, Cassie sounds like the dog I had some years ago. Noddy (we called him NoNo, wich was appropriate) once ate a whole salted ham. Of course after all the salt he was really really thirsty, and great thirst created the great need to go out to... It was when we lived in Paris, and let me tell you, everyone looked at me scoldingly because my dog peed for three minutes straight (really true). It must have looked as though that poor dog got to take a walk only once a day. Ah, man's best friend.