Friday, December 28, 2007

December 27th musings

I lost my sister to cancer 3 years ago yesterday. There was a 14 year age difference between us, so I didn't know her very well when I was young. She moved away from home before I hit my teenage years. However, we became quite close as we grew older.

She was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer on September 27th, 2004 and passed away peacefully at home exactly 3 months later. I am forever thankful to her husband for taking leave from his job to look after her so that she could spend her last few weeks in her own home.

I have had a tin full of her costume jewelry in storage in our basement. For some reason, I brought it upstairs a couple of months ago and it has been sitting on my desk ever since. Every so often, I'll open the lid. The smell of her perfume is still there after all this time. (a very unique scent called Tabu that I've never know anyone else to wear).

Then through the wonderful world of blogs, I discovered a woman in California that makes wonderful jewelry. I contacted Jamie, and she has agreed to work with Dorian's costume jewelry to make some new pieces for me. I am thrilled! I love Jamie's sense of style. Her etsy shop is Simply Me Art...."traveling back in time at the same time looking at a beautiful moment in the now"

Stay tuned to see what Jamie creates for me.

Yesterday was also a bit sad because Cody left us to return to his new home in Toronto. Since we will be moving far, far away in 2008 all of his things are gone from his room....either to his new home in Toronto, or to storage at his dad's place. So there is nothing left of him here but photos and memories. Saying goodbye yesterday was tough.

But. I'll be seeing him again in Toronto before we leave. And he's always in my heart and on my mind.

He left me a gift on my Beetle, which I didn't see until this morning when I walked down our driveway to get our morning paper.
A smiley face...his signature trademark. A very good way to start my day.

3 comments:

Angelique said...

Cancer is a horrible thing. I think it's wonderful that you are going to make yourself something with your sister's jewelery. I made myself a bracelet with pearls from one of my grandmothers necklaces for my wedding. I love it. It helps keep her close to me, if that makes sense.

MaryB said...

Hi, I am brand new to your blog. I also have a sister that is going through cancer right now. She is doing quite well at this time. With God willing, she will be with us for a very long time.
I also keep track of what Jamie is creating, and I have several of her pieces of art. I purchased a charm bracelet that she made, and gave it to my mother as a Christmas gift, and she loves it. I'm sure you'll be pleased with Jamies wonderful work.
Have a Great Week.
Mary

Word Weaver Art said...

Is that a red beetle I see under that snow? I drove a bright red beetle for 10 years... until two weeks ago... It was an emotional day to say goodbye to that car... I loved it so.
H